Cant Detect HD whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Shirl, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. Shirl

    Shirl Guest

    hi

    i cant get my computer to recognise the
    WD400 Western Digital
    40GB Drive
    I tried it in
    Primary Slave
    Secondary Primary
    Secondary Slave
    even in place of the CD- Rom

    Tried all the jumper settings.

    Motherboard is:-
    AB - AH6 (A-Bit)
    has 266MB Ram
    computer has Win XP on it but that made it low Space thats why im trying to
    get this HD detected so i can clone the existing drive onto the new one.

    in bios i tried setting it as Normal, Large and LBA, Atuo and User

    Hard Drive im trying to install says on it:
    Western Digital
    WD400
    Enhanced IDE Hard Drive
    40GB
    WD P/N WD400EB-OOCPF0
    dated 19 march 2004
    dcm: HSBBNV2C

    any advise would be great.

    shirl
     
    Shirl, Jan 1, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Shirl wrote:
    |
    | hi
    |
    | i cant get my computer to recognise the
    | WD400 Western Digital
    | 40GB Drive
    | I tried it in
    | Primary Slave
    | Secondary Primary
    | Secondary Slave
    | even in place of the CD- Rom
    |
    | Tried all the jumper settings.
    |
    | Motherboard is:-
    | AB - AH6 (A-Bit)
    | has 266MB Ram
    | computer has Win XP on it but that made it low Space thats why im
    | trying to get this HD detected so i can clone the existing drive onto
    | the new one.
    |
    | in bios i tried setting it as Normal, Large and LBA, Atuo and User
    |
    | Hard Drive im trying to install says on it:
    | Western Digital
    | WD400
    | Enhanced IDE Hard Drive
    | 40GB
    | WD P/N WD400EB-OOCPF0
    | dated 19 march 2004
    | dcm: HSBBNV2C
    |
    | any advise would be great.
    |
    | shirl
    |
    |

    Hi Shril -

    Is the drive alone on the IDE cable (meaning there is no other drive
    connected to the cable)?

    If so, remove the jumper entirely. Western Digital drives alone on a cable
    don't use a jumper to indicate that the drive is Master or Slave (no jumper
    = Single Master).

    Jef
     
    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Jan 1, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Shirl

    Mortimer Guest

    Shirl wrote: <<paraphrasing>> "I cant get my computer to recognize a
    hard drive, and I tried every setting under the sun."

    Perhaps the IDE ribbon or the power connector is bad,

    Mort
     
    Mortimer, Jan 2, 2006
    #3
  4. Shirl

    Shirl Guest

    hi

    no it isnt alone.

    on primary cable i got
    Master = C: Drive
    Slave = None

    on secondary cable i got
    Master = D: Drive
    Slave = CD Rom

    as i wanted to copy my C drive to the bigger drive, i tried it in place of
    the CD rom, in place of D drive, and tried it on the primary slave, nowhere
    it recognised it.

    shirl




    "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®"
     
    Shirl, Jan 2, 2006
    #4
  5. Shirl

    Shirl Guest

    hi

    the power seems to get to it i feel it spinning
    the drives on the same ribbon work ok, just not that drive is detected.

    dont need a different ribbon do i for enhanced IDE drives (says its that on
    drive)?

    shirl
     
    Shirl, Jan 2, 2006
    #5
  6. Shirl wrote:
    |
    | hi
    |
    | no it isnt alone.
    |
    | on primary cable i got
    | Master = C: Drive
    | Slave = None
    |
    | on secondary cable i got
    | Master = D: Drive
    | Slave = CD Rom
    |
    | as i wanted to copy my C drive to the bigger drive, i tried it in place of
    | the CD rom, in place of D drive, and tried it on the primary slave,
    nowhere
    | it recognised it.
    |
    | shirl
    |


    Hi Shirl -

    I think I've found your answer and, unfortunately, I don't see an "official"
    solution to it.

    There have been numerous hard disk size limits imposed as technology has
    grown up. The one that seems to have gotten you is the 32GB limit.

    Apparently Abit never released a BIOS update for the AH6 which allowed
    drives larger than 32GB to be properly detected.

    There are two solutions you may wish to explore:

    .. The safest would be to set the jumper on the back of the drive, limiting
    it to 32GB. This would be a fool-proof method of at least getting 32GB of
    use from the drive.

    .. The risky method would be a 3rd-party BIOS, which has been modded to
    provide support for drives up to 128GB. This BIOS could potentially leave
    you with a dead computer if the flash fails. It is totally unsupported and
    you are at your own peril flashing it. If you wish to try this, the file is
    the first link on the following page:

    http://wims.rainbow-software.org/

    If you choose to update your BIOS with this file it will be necessary to
    provide your own copy of Awdflash.exe.

    I was able to find no references to your board at Abit's USA support site,
    or at their corporate site in Taiwan. Your board is old enough that it has
    long been unsupported by Abit. The most recent BIOS for your board appears
    to be five and a half years old.

    Jef
     
    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Jan 2, 2006
    #6
  7. Shirl

    ohaya Guest


    Hi Jef,

    According to this:

    http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/abit/ah6.htm

    that board has some PCI slots. Given that, wouldn't it be less risky to
    go get an ATA/IDE PCI card to support that larger drive?

    Jim
     
    ohaya, Jan 2, 2006
    #7
  8. ohaya wrote:
    |
    | Hi Jef,
    |
    | According to this:
    |
    | http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/abit/ah6.htm
    |
    | that board has some PCI slots. Given that, wouldn't it be less risky
    | to go get an ATA/IDE PCI card to support that larger drive?
    |
    | Jim


    Hi Jim -

    Good option number 3.

    Jef
     
    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Jan 2, 2006
    #8
  9. Shirl

    Shirl Guest

    ok thanks i tried the alternative setting and it detected the drive.
    i cloned the drive, that went ok

    but when i restart the computer with the cloned new C drive i get
    NTLDR is missing

    8( why is nothing easy lol

    shirl



    "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®"
     
    Shirl, Jan 2, 2006
    #9
  10. Shirl wrote:
    |
    | ok thanks i tried the alternative setting and it detected the
    | drive. i cloned the drive, that went ok
    |
    | but when i restart the computer with the cloned new C drive
    | i get NTLDR is missing
    |
    | 8( why is nothing easy lol
    |
    | shirl
    |


    Hi Shirl -

    What method are you using to clone the drive and are you certain the new C:\
    drive has a bootable MBR?

    You can boot with your Windows XP CD and choose the option to go into the
    Recovery Console (you'll be asked for your Administrator password .. if you
    didn't set one, just press Enter).

    To fix the Master Boot Record of your boot drive, type...

    FIXMBR

    .... at the Recovery Console prompt.

    You might also need to fix the boot sector code in the System Partition,
    type...

    FIXBOOT C:

    .... at the Recovery Console prompt.


    More information can be found on Microsoft's Knowledge Base article on
    Windows XP's Recovery Console:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/en-us

    Jef
     
    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Jan 2, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.