Can't edit Internet Connect configurations?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveC, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Looking at Internet Config, the "Configuration:" menu has "Edit
    Configurations" and "Other" entries, but they're both grayed-out. I can't
    figure out how to get them enabled so that I can add new configs.

    I have been using System Preferences > Network > Modem to edit Locations.
    When I change to another Location profile and click Apply Now, it shows up in
    IC.

    But shouldn't this be able to be done completely from within IC without
    using System Prefs?

    Ideas?

    PB G3/400 (Pismo); OS X 10.3.4; Internal 56K modem

    Thanks,

    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC, Aug 10, 2004

  2. DaveC

    Tom Stiller Guest

    As far as I know, there is no "Internet Config" application for Mac OS X.
    Some options for file helpers and extension mapping can be performed
    using applications like Internet Explorer, Mail, and Safari but a third
    party application or preference pane (e.g. RCDefaultApp )is required for
    more general manipulation.

    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Tom Stiller, Aug 10, 2004

  3. DaveC

    David Besack Guest

    Looking at Internet Config, the "Configuration:" menu has "Edit
    Is there a picture of a lock somewhere, in the "locked" position? Click it
    to unlock. If you're not logged on as an admin, you will have to supply an
    admin password.

    David Besack, Aug 10, 2004
  4. DaveC

    David Besack Guest

    Looking at Internet Config, the "Configuration:" menu has "Edit
    Ah I see now, I originally thought you asked something different. As far as
    I know, the network system pref combined some of the elements of the
    location manager and internet configurations from OS9. Now that's the
    primary place to change all your network-related internet settings.

    David Besack, Aug 10, 2004
  5. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    I mean Internet Connect, of course. (Man, I hate it when I do that...)

    *Now* the Configurations pop-up menu had Edit Configurations available,
    whereas it was grayed-out, earlier. Don't know why that changed.

    Thanks to all,

    DaveC, Aug 12, 2004
  6. DaveC

    Simon Slavin Guest

    No. IC is a very simple application. Its job is to connect or
    disconnect using settings which have been set up elsewhere.
    Anyone should be allowed to use IC. Only an administrator is
    allowed to change the ways that a computer can connect to another
    computer.

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, Aug 12, 2004