Can't enter text in Firefox text fields!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jorl Shefner, May 13, 2005.

  1. Jorl Shefner

    Jorl Shefner Guest

    Within a few minutes of using Firefox I'm unable to enter anything into
    the URL field (or any other text field). At start-up I can usually
    enter a URL without problem but shortly thereafter the menubar will
    become highlighted when I click it but I still can't enter text.
    This problem first started for me many versions of Firefox ago, on both
    Macs that I own. Prior to that I never had a problem.
    Originally, I deleted every Firefox file on the system, re-installed to
    no avail.

    Recently, I did a clean re-install of 10.3 (not archive and install),
    and the first application I installed was Firefox, and I was amazed
    that the problem still existed. I hadn't even installed the software
    for my mouse at that point.

    Then, I upgraded to 10.4 on my work machine earlier this week and that
    did nothing for me either. Really bizarre!

    So, I'm wondering if some setting in Firefox would account for this
    behavior. I'm skeptical now that it could be related to the
    installation after seeing the problem persist across re-installs of the
    OS on two different G4s.

    There are no other problems with my Macs, nor any difficulties using
    any other browser, including Mozilla.

    This issue has had me boggled for such a long time, and I don't see
    anything similar reported in this newsgroup. Firefox isn't my primary
    browser of course, but I'd still really like to be able to use it.

    TIA,

    J.S.

    Jorl Shefner, May 13, 2005

  2. Jorl Shefner

    Andrew D Guest

    I have it occur occasionally but usually after FF has been running for
    some time or if I've left it in the background for a while. But it's
    intermittent.
    (FF-1.0, OS-10.3.8) Not much help to you but there obviously is something
    that gets up it nose.

    I wonder whether its a corruption that results from a communications hiccup?

    Andrew D, Jun 5, 2005