Can't Erase External Drive Partition

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Davoud, May 13, 2014.

  1. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    So says the message in Disk Utility. This a 3TB Seagate GoFlex FireWire
    with a one-TB partition for general use and a two-TB partition for Time
    Machine backups. 27-in. late model iMac with latest Mac OS, etc.

    Time Machine began reporting back-up failures after 24 April. I turned
    off TM because I have other backups of my internal drive (SuperDuper)
    and I didn't have time to deal with the issue earlier.

    The TM partition passed the First Aid routine with no errors. Since
    nothing else worked to get Time Machine working on this partition I
    decided to start anew with it by erasing it. The error message tells me
    that ³Volume Eras failed with the error: Mediakit reports not enough
    space on device for requested operation.²

    In fact, the disk has 1.25 TB used and 745 GB available. It seems to me
    that the disk ought to be erasable.

    Ideas welcome.

    TIA!

    Davoud, May 13, 2014

  2. Davoud

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Methinks that something is wrong with the partition structure of the
    disk. I would back up the general use partition to a separate drive
    using SuperDuper! and then attempt a reformatting and partitioning of
    the drive in question. If that works you could then restore the backed
    up partition.

    TaliesinSoft, May 13, 2014