    etc,
    so I don't have to reinstall Windows?

    Thanks

    Johnny B Jesus, Oct 5, 2006

  2. Johnny B Jesus

    BigJim Guest

    you will have to do a repair install (at the very least) of windows no
    matter what board you replace it with. You can try ebay.

    BigJim, Oct 5, 2006

  3. I finally found a new P4P800-E Deluxe. All I have to do is swap out
    the mainboard and and I won't need to do a repair install, right?

    Thanks

    Johnny B Jesus, Oct 5, 2006
  4. Johnny B Jesus

    DaveW Guest

    Most manufacturers have discontinued producing quality Socket 478 boards,
    due to their obsolescence. You may have to get one from eBay. AND, unless
    you can find the EXACT same replacement board as you already have, you will
    HAVE to reformat your harddrive and do a fresh install of XP.

    DaveW, Oct 6, 2006
  5. Johnny B Jesus

    somewhere Guest

    Ever do a repair install of XP?

    somewhere, Oct 6, 2006
  6. Johnny B Jesus

    Fishman > Guest

    Not so.....

    A repair install permits changing motherboard / CPU / memory combination.
    I only recently replaced a faulty VIA chipset skt. 734 board / Sempron CPU
    with a SIS chipset skt. A board / Athlon CPU.
    Repair install worked (as has done for me many times) no problem.
    Note: All XP security & critical updates need to be reinstalled.

    It is however worth uninstalling all the non-present devices afterwards as a
    clean-up operation .........

    To do so you need a special mode of device manager.

    Open up a command prompt and type:
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    devmgmt.msc
    Device Mgr. will then automatically open.

    Select "View" then "Show Hidden Devices".
    Expand the sub cats. - All greyed out devices are non-present and can be
    uninstalled.

    Fishman >, Oct 6, 2006
  7. Johnny B Jesus

    BigJim Guest

    it is possible that with an identical replacement windows may work but I
    don't think so. If it does work it may be erratic. Basically even though the
    boards are the same windows will use settings from the original board. This
    would cause conflicts with the replacement board.
    So if it doesn't work you have two choices repair install or fresh install.
    Go to the link below if not sure how to do it. With a repair install you
    won't loose any info or programs, if it works. I have done it 3 or 4 times
    with no problems on other people's systems.

    BigJim, Oct 6, 2006
  8. Johnny B Jesus

    tcsenter Guest

    There is no sound technical reason you shouldn't be able to swap a
    completely different make and model mainboard with the same chipset,
    let alone an identical make and model, without having to reinstall
    Windows. I've never had to reinstall Windows on a same-chipset swap -
    period.

    RAID arrays (i.e. Southbridge resource deployment and RAID firmware)
    would be an exception to this. If you had a RAID setup, you would be
    well advised to make sure both boards are using the same BIOS version
    and RAID settings. Standard non-RAID IDE/ATA/SATA should be very
    forgiving.

    Boot into Safe Mode the first time, wait a minute or two after Windows
    loads for any new/different hardware to be detected and installed, then
    restart and boot normally.

    Regards,

    Tim

    tcsenter, Oct 6, 2006
  9. Johnny B Jesus

    Paul Guest

    There is little difference between your original P4P800-E Deluxe
    and a new P4P800-E Deluxe. Maybe the LAN MAC address is different,
    and I doubt the earth will shake if the OS sees this.

    The only potential problem I see, is Windows Activation for
    WinXP and whatever policy Microsoft has regarding what amounts
    to a significant hardware change. I don't keep track of said
    policy, because I use Win2K. Other than that, if you go into
    the BIOS of the new motherboard, once it is installed, and
    carefully set up the BIOS the same way it was before (so
    your drives are set in the same mode as before, i.e. RAID
    if RAID was used and so on), it should be smooth sailing.
    Don't forget to set up the boot order. The BIOS boot order
    changes every time the set of connected drives changes, so
    that is the last thing to check before your first boot
    attempt.

    If you are at all concerned about the quality of the new
    motherboard, you might consider booting with a memtest86+
    floppy or CDROM image, and test for a couple passes. That
    will give you a quick check that processor, memory, and
    Northbridge are functional. Memtest86+ can be obtained
    from memtest.org .

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 6, 2006
  10. Johnny B Jesus

    Patrick Vo Guest

    Just replace the motherboard and everything should be fine. No need to
    re-format and re-install. Just make sure the bios setup is the same as the
    old one and you should be OK.

    Patrick Vo, Oct 7, 2006