Can't Fit PCMCIA USB2.0 AND Wireless Cards at same time?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by iceman, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. iceman

    iceman Guest

    Hi,

    In a nutshell - is there a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card that can go in the bottom
    slot?

    In more detail, i've got a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with two PCMCIA slots.

    I'm about to install wireless networking, including a Netgear PCMCIA
    Wireless card which needs to go in the top slot.

    The problem is, I'd also hoped to install a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card as well -
    but all of the ones I've seen look like they need to go in the top slot
    also.

    Hence my question - is there a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card that can go in the bottom
    slot?

    I know I could just install the USB2.0 card and use a Netgear wireless usb
    dongle, but I think that will stick out way too far - I'd much rather have
    the configuration above.

    Any help much appreciated

    Many Thanks

    iceman

    iceman, Nov 14, 2005

  2. iceman

    Notan Guest

    Have a look at:

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd..._Id=&Section_Id=2074&pcount=&Product_Id=20852

    Notan

    Notan, Nov 14, 2005

  3. iceman

    iceman Guest

    Thanks Notan

    That looks like it would fit the bill exactly - but that version looks like
    it's USB 1.1!

    Thanks

    iceman, Nov 14, 2005
  4. iceman

    Notan Guest

    You're right... It sure does.

    I'll keep looking!

    Notan

    Notan, Nov 14, 2005
  5. iceman

    Rich Johnson Guest

    iceman:

    I had the same issue. My solution was to use a USB wireless card. Worked
    very well with an extender cable and a 4 port USB 2.0 card. (But that is
    just me.)

    Rich Johnson, Nov 15, 2005
  6. iceman

    iceman Guest

    Thanks for that Rich - can you tell me what the make and model was and I'll
    have a look at it?

    Cheers

    iceman

    iceman, Nov 15, 2005
  7. iceman

    USB Guy Guest

    Rich Johnsonwrote
    iceman
    I've looked all over and all the USB 2.0 PCMCIA cards I've found ar
    of the "fat" variety - none like that one above with the extende
    cable. Could you point me to where you were able to find one

    Thanks

    USB Guy, Nov 26, 2005