Can't get any version of windows working on 875 Neo

Discussion in 'MSI' started by dg, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. dg

    dg Guest

    I have just set up a P4 2.8 on a 875 Neo with 512mb ram.

    I have tried to install win 2000 but it hangs just past the startup
    logo screen. I tried win 95 and 98 too and get the same .... after the
    windows logo, the screen goes black with just a flashing cursor in the
    top left corner and no key inputs work - only ctrl-alt-del.

    I think I have changed all bios settings but no luck there.

    I have a Gainward Nvidia FX5200 AGP card, but also get the same
    results when I try an old Diamond PCI card.

    Is this a common problem with a quick fix?

    cheers

    dg

    dg, Sep 2, 2003

  2. dg

    John Guest

    | I have just set up a P4 2.8 on a 875 Neo with 512mb ram.
    |
    | I have tried to install win 2000 but it hangs just past the startup
    | logo screen. I tried win 95 and 98 too and get the same .... after the
    | windows logo, the screen goes black with just a flashing cursor in the
    | top left corner and no key inputs work - only ctrl-alt-del.
    |
    | I think I have changed all bios settings but no luck there.
    |
    | I have a Gainward Nvidia FX5200 AGP card, but also get the same
    | results when I try an old Diamond PCI card.
    |
    | Is this a common problem with a quick fix?
    |
    | cheers
    |
    | dg

    I have had similar problems with another brand of MB. The basic problem was
    interrupt conflicts because of the many motherboard features (8 USB ports,
    serial and IDE plus RAID drives, 6.1 sound, lan etc.) The problem is with
    ACPI. If you had it turned off in the BIOS then it needs to be on. If it was
    off then you need to format C: because you cannot turn it on once windows
    has been installed, regardless of what the BIOS says. MS did not really get
    it right until Windows XP. There is a long article in the MS Knowledge Base
    detailing problems in Win2K because it tries to put all devices on int 11
    and an overload occurs. In the days of 98 and ME very few systems had so
    many devices so it was rarely a problem.
    John

    John, Sep 2, 2003

  3. dg

    dg Guest

    Thanks for the help, but problem is now fixed.

    To say i am bloody annoyed is an understatement!

    The problem was a combination of the NDIS driver issue (win 95/98 not
    recognising processors faster than 2.2ghz) and my LCD monitor not
    displaying the error message for me to see.

    As I mentioned, the setup stopped at a blank screen with only a
    flashing cursor. Now, unbeknown to me, the cursor was displayed as
    white text, but the line with the error message was being displayed in
    a shade of grey - which the LCD monitor was not displaying.

    It was only when I used a spare CRT monitor so I could use the LCD on
    my old system, that I noticed.

    Two whole days and most of a night wasted :eek:(

    dg

    dg, Sep 4, 2003