Can't get DVI video to work (EAX1600PRO)

Discussion in 'ATI' started by ohaya, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    I have an (Asus) EAX1600PRO:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121056]

    I just got a new 22" LCD monitor:

    http://www.envisiondisplay.com/products.asp?EPage=products&SMenu=g218a1

    The monitor works fine if I use the normal VGA cable connected to the
    normal VGA connector on the EAX1600PRO video card.

    The monitor also came with a DVI cable (DVI-I male connectors on both
    ends), and so I wanted to get that working.

    When I have only the DVI cable connected, and power up the PC, the
    monitor initially displays ("Digital"), but then it just goes black.

    I also found this post:

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...9&model=EAX1600+Series&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    It's not for exactly the same video card, but there's also no solution
    posted there either.

    Is there something else that I need to do with the EAX1600PRO
    configuration in order to enable DVI video output?

    This is the 1st time I'm working with DVI video, so I hope that someone
    can help.

    Thanks in advance, Jim

    ohaya, Aug 12, 2007

  2. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    I don't understand exactly why, but I was able to find a resolution.

    The "hint" was in the 2nd post in this thread on the Asus forum:

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...ard_id=13&model=MW221U&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    Basically, here's what I had to do:

    1) Connect the new monitor to video card via a VGA cable
    2) After booting to Windows (2000, in my case), lower the resolution (I
    lowered it to 1024x768)
    3) Shutdown the machine
    4) Switch the monitor to the "pure" DVI cable connection (DVI-I
    connector on video card to DVI-D connector on LCD monitor)
    5) Power machine back on and boot to Windows. Now the BIOS display
    appears, etc.
    6) After booting to Windows, set the resolution to (in my case, 1680x1050).

    Like I said, I don't know why this worked, but it did for me. I'm
    wondering if this not just an ATI or monitor-specific problem, but
    anyway, I'm happy now :)...

    I hope that this helps someone in the future.

    Jim

    ohaya, Aug 12, 2007

  3. I got almost the same problem: I bought an ATI X1300Pro and a VideoSeven
    L22WD 22" LCD. When connecting, using the DVI (24+1) connector, nothing
    happens during boot up - no BIOS messages at all and not boot menu. After
    Windows XP Pro started the display works perfectly.

    The monitor itself works without any glitches on an ATI X800GTS (DVI
    connected!) and it also runs smooth using the VGA connector on the X1300.

    After writing to V7 support they told me that certain ATI video cards have
    a problem to set the correct frequency to operate properly in DOS mode. At
    least the V7 needs 60 Hz.

    So I will try you solution also I don't think it will work in my case.

    Michael Fritz, Aug 23, 2007