can't get MMC 9.13 installed - ever run into this problem?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by spoon2001, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. spoon2001

    spoon2001 Guest

    I cannot get MMC 9.13 installed.

    I get DAO/MDAC installed OK. I cannot install the Parental Control Encoder.
    The status bar never starts and never moves. The only thing I can do is to
    cancel and kill InstallShield in Task Manager.

    When I try to install MMC 9.13 itself, I get a message box that says "This
    will perform an upgrade of MMC85". I get this even after I have done all the
    recommended steps to completely uninstall MMC85. Later on it complains that
    it cannot find "MMC85.msi" in the folder "c:\windows\Downloaded
    Installations\{00F0DA2D-D9A3-4400-8760-9386E570795}" - that folder spelling
    may not be exactly right.

    I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of MMC 8.5. Uninstalling
    it from Add/Remove Programs does not work. I have manually deleted the ATI
    registry entries from HKLM\Software\ATI.. and HKCU\Software\ATI... I have
    deleted the ATI folders in the Program Files folder, as well as everything
    in the Temp folder, following directions on the ATI website. I even
    installed the original version of MMC from the program CD (8.1.0.0) - still
    when I tried to install MMC 9.13, I got the message, "this will perform an
    upgrade to MMC85".

    I have submitted a help ticket but in the past I have gotten canned
    answer to this riddle. Any help greatly appreciated.

    spoon2001, Mar 18, 2006

  2. spoon2001

    Jeff Guest

    Have you tried the ATI uninstaller which somebody coorect me if I'm wrong,
    but deletes every trace of anything ATI on your sytem.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 18, 2006

  3. spoon2001

    spoon2001 Guest

    Yes, I did try that - several times! The uninstall program is AtiCimUn.exe.

    The Add/Remove Programs applet has an entry called "ATI - Software Uninstall
    Utility". The UninstallString connected with this entry is:
    "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\UninstallAll\AtiCimUn.exe"
    The version of this file is 6.14.10.1014, and it is 118,784 bytes. Mine is
    dated 2/21/06. You can run this simply by clicking on the entry in the
    Add/Remove Programs applet.

    There is also another version of the program downloadable from ATI called
    "cat-uninstaller". It is version 6.14.10.1005 - an older version dated
    9/12/03, and it is only 65536 bytes.

    spoon2001, Mar 19, 2006
  4. spoon2001

    Mercury Guest

    Try installing MMC 8.5 and then removing it.

    Mercury, Mar 19, 2006
  5. spoon2001

    spoon2001 Guest

    Try installing MMC 8.5 and then removing it.

    A good idea, but I can't do it! But for some reason, when I try
    reinstalling MMC 8.5, and then restart, I get the message "ATI Multimedia
    Center does not appear to be installed". Before attempting the new MMC 8.5
    installation, I did all I could to wipe out the old installation. I've
    tried just about everything I can think of.

    spoon2001, Mar 19, 2006
  6. spoon2001

    Jeff Guest

    System restore to a month ago.......or perhaps reformat the drive and start
    fresh?

    Jeff, Mar 19, 2006
  7. spoon2001

    Mercury Guest

    This is really strange... Are you sure you got rid of everything
    ATI-related?

    Did you do a search for all files with ATI in the name? Off the top of my
    head, there should be an ATI folder in Program Files/Common Files.

    You can also do one more thing, and that is search the registry for the
    terms "atimmc" and (this might take a while) "ati". You'll probably get a
    bunch of false positives with the last one, stuff like "statistic" will
    match.

    Mercury, Mar 19, 2006
  8. spoon2001

    spoon2001 Guest

    Problem solved. I now have MMC 9.13 installed. Mercury, you were on the
    right track, but here's what I had to do.

    I ran mmc-8-5-0-0.exe, and it gives you three installation options. Modify,
    Repair, and Remove. I tried Modify and Repair, no luck. Finally I did the
    "Remove" option. That was what did it. It makes perfect sense. The ATI
    Uninstall utility didn't know where all the traces of MMC85 were, but
    mmc-8-5-0-0 DID. Why? Because it put them there in the first place!

    That's a good lesson for us. Sometimes you can find the best UNINSTALL in
    the original INSTALL executable!

    Thanks to everbody who gave me their ideas.

    spoon2001

    spoon2001, Mar 19, 2006
  9. spoon2001

    Mercury Guest

    Right track? From what I gathered from your story, I was as much on the
    right track as a tugboat.

    Still, thanks. :)

    Mercury, Mar 20, 2006
  10. spoon2001

    PhxGrunge Guest

    Use the program DriverCleaner to clean out the registry entries and files
    that are left behind when using the ATI remove-all uninstall utility.
    Program website is www.drivercleaner.net.

    If you still have problems, then you will need to do a repair install of
    Windows.

    PhxGrunge, Mar 20, 2006