Can't get more than two computers running on LAN at a time

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Cindy Murray, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Cindy Murray

    Cindy Murray Guest

    I'll try to describe what's happening and our set-up, if I forget
    anything, please forgive me:

    LAN set up by hubby running multiple Macs (details to follow) via Cat5
    connections to a Linksys 8-port ethernet hub and an RCA Cable modem.
    Everything works great, all the computers get online, then suddenly one
    night the college-aged daughter complains that she hasn't been able to
    get online in several days (no specific details available). I run
    through the usual troubleshooting routing: AppleTalk is active and set
    to ethernet, TCP/IP is set for ethernet DHCP, everything is plugged in
    and turned on.... Thinking it is the modem (because the modem often
    needs to be reset), I unplug it, wait 60 seconds, plug it back in, and
    nothing happens. We try this a number of times, complete with system
    restarts on her computer, etc. We finally get her online after plugging
    her into a different port on the hub, but hubby later reports that HE
    can't get on the internet (I didn't change ANYTHING with his system, nor
    did I swap his port or cable on the hub). We swap him around on the hub
    and reset the modem and all that, and finally get him going again, but
    low and behold, daughter doesn't work any more. We decided it was the
    hub, live with it until we can buy another one, etc.

    A few weeks later, we move into our new house. Hubby wires the entire
    house for the LAN (we plan to have a computer in just about every room
    of the house). Cable guy comes out for install, wants to give us a new
    modem, but the one he has doesn't work, so they just hook up the old
    RCA. Instead of using the Linksys hub (which we suspect is faulty), he
    plugs in an old 4-port hub which we knew was good but which we outgrew
    years ago. Since we're limited, we only have three computer hooked up
    to the LAN right now: My BW G3, daughter's G3, and my husband's G4
    PowerBook. He swaps the PowerBook out with a G3 in the garage for the
    time being. So intermittently, we are all having difficulties getting
    online, and we twiddle and switch around the hub and modem until whoever
    is OFF can get ON. We decide it's not the hub, but the modem itself.
    Just looking at it sideways makes it cut out.

    We call the cable company, they replace the modem with a Motorola
    "SURFboard" Cable modem. That evening, we try to get all the computers
    going and daughter complains that she is still not getting online.
    TCP/IP has an IP address. I can't figure it out. So we bypass the hub
    with her connection (because the cable company will not give tech
    support while you are connected to the hub). Still nothing and we call
    cable company. The IP address in TCP/IP started with a 169, which the
    tech said was a bad IP (the number indicates a bad connection of some
    sort) and the computer wasn't releasing it.

    The tech had me:

    switch TCP/IP from ethernet to PPP
    save
    switch back to ethernet
    save
    shut down computer
    shut down modem
    wait 30 seconds
    power up modem
    power up computer
    check that TCP/IP had a valid IP address

    We finally get the number cleared out and a valid IP and everything's
    great. I get off the phone, hubby complains that now HE can't get
    online. I look, and sure enough, he has that same bad IP address. I
    clear it out of his, just like I did for her, but then SHE couldn't get
    online. We decided that ALL computers needed to be cycled at the same
    time (as described above), so we shut everything down, waited, rebooted,
    and still only two computers are getting on at the same time. After
    several attempts, hubby has decided it has something to do with the hub
    and collisions, but we are at a lot what to do to get everything up and
    running. ANY help, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    Here is a list of computers that are connected to the network at this time:

    Powerbook G4 - Panther 10.3.4
    BW G3 - Panther 10.3.4
    Beige G3 - OS 9.2.2
    Beige G3 - OS 9.2.2

    In addition, we would *like* to be able to hook up the following devices
    which were on the LAN at the old house:

    iMac G3 - OS 9.2.2
    Beige G3 - OS 9.2.2
    Performa 6300 - OS 8.1
    XBox
    Genicom MicroLaser C4 printer

    TIA....

    Cindy Murray, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Cindy Murray

    dbarto Guest

    Further, since you will be purchasing a router, get a wireless one (like the
    Linksys WAP54G) which will allow wireless connections from the laptops at
    802.11g speeds. Thus you get routing, all the machines on a private lan and
    better privacy, as (the Linksys at least) the router usually has a builtin
    firewall.

    Good luck.
    -barto

    --
    David Barto www.kdbarto.org

    Oxymoron - 2 words which mean the opposite of each other:
    Jumbo Shrimp
    Military Intelligence
    Microsoft Security

    dbarto, Aug 11, 2004

  3. But if you DO go wireless, make sure you (1) set a secure password on
    the router setup page, (2) use encryption and (3) limit connections by
    hardware (MAC) address to the computers you actually own.

    As a further note, if the TCP/IP settings ever show an IP address
    beginning with 169., it means that the computer was unable to find
    anything to assign it an address.

    David C. Stone, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Cindy Murray

    Cindy Murray Guest

    Thanks for the tips, everyone. Hubby did a little research on his own
    and called me with the same conclusions. The wireless Linksys is on
    order. THANKS!

    Cindy Murray, Aug 12, 2004