Can't get new PC going

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by m j, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. m j

    m j Guest

    Hello,

    I just finished putting together a system with a Chaintech VNF3-250 mb
    and tried to power it on and here is what
    happened. The fan on the back of my Antec
    3000b case started spinning, the fan on the Zalman
    cooler started spinning and I could start to smell
    something slightly burning (silicon paste on amd 64?). Then after a
    about 15 seconds everything shut down.

    I have a new seasonic tornado 300 PSU so I started cycling the on off
    switch and a funny thing happened after I hit the front on button. The
    fans
    spun up for about two seconds and then just quit. I can repeat this too
    but only if I turn the PSU unit off then on again, then hit the front
    on button.
    Power to my drives don't seem to work. And the tornado fan
    isn't moving. I thought I was very careful to do everything
    right. Any ideas? At first I didn't have my 4 pin power to the MB
    plugged in but that didn't seem to make a difference when I did. BTW,
    do I need to plug this
    4 pin power cable into the board?

    Appreciate it.

    Mike

    m j, Feb 3, 2005

  2. m j

    Ed Guest

    On 3 Feb 2005 11:38:41 -0800, "m j" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I just finished putting together a system with a Chaintech VNF3-250 mb
    >and tried to power it on and here is what
    >happened. The fan on the back of my Antec
    >3000b case started spinning, the fan on the Zalman
    >cooler started spinning and I could start to smell
    >something slightly burning (silicon paste on amd 64?). Then after a
    >about 15 seconds everything shut down.
    >
    >I have a new seasonic tornado 300 PSU so I started cycling the on off
    >switch and a funny thing happened after I hit the front on button. The
    >fans
    >spun up for about two seconds and then just quit. I can repeat this too
    >but only if I turn the PSU unit off then on again, then hit the front
    >on button.
    >Power to my drives don't seem to work. And the tornado fan
    >isn't moving. I thought I was very careful to do everything
    >right. Any ideas? At first I didn't have my 4 pin power to the MB
    >plugged in but that didn't seem to make a difference when I did. BTW,
    >do I need to plug this
    >4 pin power cable into the board?
    >
    >Appreciate it.
    >
    >Mike

    Yes, plug in the 4 pin power too, some boards will run without it, some
    wont, but it's to help keep power to the CPU.

    I guess i would take the board out of the case and lay it on a piece of
    cardboard and see what it does, check case for unused standoffs or
    anything else that could have been touching the board where it
    shouldn't.

    Ed
    --
    VNF3-250/Newcastle 3200+