Can't get rid of Nvidia startup items after switching to ATI- XP Pro

Discussion in 'ATI' started by wreckwriter, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. wreckwriter

    wreckwriter Guest

    I switched from Nvidia video card to ATI and am having trouble getting
    rid of the Nvidia startup stuff.

    The files are gone but there are 3 reg
    keys I can't get rid of. All are in
    HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run Keys are Nwiz,
    NvCplDaemon, and Nvmediacenter. I can open regedit, delete them, close
    regedit, and when I reopen it they are back.

    My user is a member of administrators and regedit show administrators
    having full control.
    Have also tried from administrator account and from safe mode. As
    administrator I can delete the keys and close/reopen regedit and they
    still gone but no matter what I do the keys come back on next reboot.

    Have also tried DriverCleaner Registry cleaner, and JV16 power tools,
    same result.

    I've also tried disabling the items in MSCONFIG but they recheck
    themselves after reboot.

    I've tried checking permissions all the way up the tree and everything
    looks ok; obviously it isn't though.

    I'm not sure if this is a permissions issue or if something is
    re-adding these entries.

    wreckwriter, Mar 29, 2006

  2. wreckwriter

    Carl Guest

    um, just a guess, but perhaps look at the windows prefetch folder and empty
    it?

    Carl, Mar 29, 2006

  3. wreckwriter

    wreckwriter Guest

    Good idea, rebooting now after doing that

    wreckwriter, Mar 29, 2006
  4. wreckwriter

    wreckwriter Guest

    Didn't work. Same thing :(

    wreckwriter, Mar 29, 2006
  5. wreckwriter

    Ted F Guest

    Ted F, Mar 29, 2006
  6. Maybe another idea:
    Is the 'NVIDIA Display Driver' service still running? (control panel /
    administrative tools / services)
    If so, you could try to disable it and later remove
    c:\windows\system32\nvsnc32.exe if it worked.

    regards
    Marcel

    Marcel Overweel, Mar 30, 2006
  7. wreckwriter

    wreckwriter Guest

    Thanks for the replies. The problem ended up being a spyware blocker
    that was changing the registry back......

    wreckwriter, Mar 30, 2006