Can't get SATA drive to work in Precision T7500

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Guest, Jan 15, 2013.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The T7500 has to set of HD connectors --- one group of four
    that are SAS/SATA. These are attached to a Dell SAS 6/iR Integrated
    Workstation Controller. All of these work fine.

    The other set of three is simply described as SATA connectors. I have
    two optical drives connected in slots 0 and 1, but I cannot get a hard
    drive to connect to slot 2. Does the order matter?

    When I had an external SATA port connected to slot 2 it would not work
    for hot plugging, but did recognize the eSata drive when it was powered
    up and connected at boot time.

    This internal sata drive is not recognized by the computer.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,

    Guest, Jan 15, 2013

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Andrew> The T7500 has to set of HD connectors --- one group of four
    Andrew> that are SAS/SATA. These are attached to a Dell SAS 6/iR
    Andrew> Integrated Workstation Controller. All of these work fine.

    Andrew> The other set of three is simply described as SATA
    Andrew> connectors. I have two optical drives connected in slots 0
    Andrew> and 1, but I cannot get a hard drive to connect to slot 2.
    Andrew> Does the order matter?

    Andrew> When I had an external SATA port connected to slot 2 it
    Andrew> would not work for hot plugging, but did recognize the eSata
    Andrew> drive when it was powered up and connected at boot time.

    Andrew> This internal sata drive is not recognized by the computer.

    Andrew> Any ideas?

    Stupid me. I forgot that each of those three connectors need to be
    individually activated in the BIOS.

    Does anyone have a favorite drive performance tester?

    Thanks,

    Guest, Jan 16, 2013