Can't get spidif output to work?

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Jack3000, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Jack3000

    Jack3000 Guest

    I recently purchased my audigy 2 zs platinum Pro and my sourround
    sound works perfectly; however, I'm not able to get the SPDIF output
    to work that is in back of the I/O external Hub. I've connected a
    speaker with a RCA plug and plugged it into the output but I get no
    sound. Maybe I'm expecting it do something that it can't do.

    I'd like to be able to use my surround speakers in my living room and
    at the same time, use the addtional speaker connected to the SPDIF
    output. This way I can have music in my living room and at the same
    time, I can hear the same music in my bedroom (if I drill a hole for
    the wire of the additional speaker to go between the 2 rooms.)

    Can I NOT use the analog 6.1 surround sound (which is connected to my
    sound card) at the same time with the additional speaker?

    Do I need to have an audio source connected to the SPFIF "INPUT"
    before the SPDIF "OUTPUT" works?

    The electronic documentation and manual are very lacking in what the
    SPDIF output can and can't do, so if anyone has had similar beginner
    problems or knows the answer, I'd love to hear the answer.

    Thanks in advance!

    Jack3000, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Jack3000

    Lenny Guest

    You should indeed be able to use both at the same time, but the SPDIF output
    will only carry a stereo signal, and you do need a digital decoder in the
    other end to receive it of course, as it is not an analog sound signal (but
    this I guess you knew already! ;) )

    If you get no sound through the SPDIF on the back of the module, have you
    tried any other outputs the card/module may feature? You're sure the audio
    cable is A-OK, etc?

    Lenny, Apr 19, 2004