can't install new WD hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob Higgins, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Bob Higgins

    Bob Higgins Guest

    Hi,

    I have an old Gateway with AMD-K6 300 processor. Am trying to replace
    an old 750 MB hard drive that had WIN95 on it with a Western Digital
    40gb 7200 rpm. Have followed all instructions but end up stuck on the
    boot-up screen at the line:

    "Detecting IDE Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]" and at the
    screen bottom
    "Press DEL to enter SETUP" Pressing F4 does nothing, and anyway I want
    the new drive detected and labeled as Master (I guess). The pc also
    has a 1.4 floppy drive and a very old cd-rom.

    The new HD is properly jumpered.
    When I enter SETUP, I am unable in CMOS to type in the info for size,
    cylinder, etc. Also, though I set the drives to AUTO and LBA and save
    the settings, the computer does not detect the new hard drive anyway.

    Any suggestions?

    Many thanks -- I see that there are thousands of postings on this
    general topic, but I am so new to this territory that I wouldn't know
    how to whittle them down to the relevant ones.

    Bob H.

    Bob Higgins, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Bob Higgins

    oldcomptrguy Guest

    Hi Bob. Be sure you are using the No 1 IDE slot on the mobo and be
    sure the no 1 pins are aligned. Have the jumper on the hard drive set
    at Master, do not use the Master with slave or CS for Cable Select.
    Older boards like yours do not recognize that.

    oldcomptrguy, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Bob Higgins

    DaveW Guest

    Your computer's BIOS is too old and doesn't know about high GB sized
    harddrives. You'll need to find an old smaller harddrive.

    DaveW, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Bob Higgins

    Bob Higgins Guest

    Thanks olcomptrguy. But no go after checking your suggestions. I am
    definitely on the No 1 IDE slot on the motherboard, and #1 pins are
    aligned -- there is a groove on the slot and a bump on the jumper plug
    that lines everything up, also on the HD itself. And I have set the
    jumper on the hard drive as instructed by Western Digital: across pins
    4 and 6 as in:

    00000
    00xx0

    Western Digital says of their new jumper cable that one end (blue
    plug) is for the motherboard, and the end plug (black) is for the hard
    drive. I am using those two plugs. Also that the middle plug, which I
    am not using and which is grey, is for the slave. But no go.

    Any suggestions for how to do the CMOS setup manually? I can change
    one selection from user to auto etc, and also can make changes on the
    LBA cell. So I have this set now to auto and to LBA, and have tried
    both LBA and Normal. However, I can't fill in the information for
    cylinder heads, etc. And when I go into the CMOS option of Auto-Detect
    IDE Hard Drive, I get no response -- just a blank screen saying
    "Auto-Detecting Primary Master ..."

    Thanks for any other ideas anyone can suggest.

    Bob Higgins, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Bob Higgins

    mysza Guest

    I have an old Gateway with AMD-K6 300 processor. Am trying to replace
    Your computer's BIOS does not support 40GB drives. What you have to do
    is to find the manufacturer of your motherboard, and check if they
    have an upgrade for your BIOS. And then make sure that the upgrade
    actually will fix this problem. Then you have to download the latest
    BIOS, and the flash utily and flash your BIOS!!! Now, this can be
    deadly to your computer, so be careful!

    mysza, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Bob Higgins

    Ron Cook Guest