    file structure, so what could I be doing wrong? I can't believe I'm
    having so much trouble with SATA... it shouldn't be this much of a
    PITA, should it?

    richard.fincham, May 13, 2005

  2. richard.fincham

    JefN Guest

    | I bought a new VA-20, WD 80-GB SATA HDD, and the other usual stuff
    | (Corsair DDR, case, DVD+/-RW, floppy, etc.), including Win XP Pro w/
    | SP2.
    |
    | The WDD SATA drive *is* detected by the BIOS with no problem, and of
    | course SATA is enabled.
    |
    | Unfortunately, I can't install the Via 8237 SATA driver so that I can
    | install Win XP Pro. I hit F6 and then S at the beginning of the
    | installation process, but when I insert the floppy disk with the SATA
    | drivers, I get a message saying something about "TxtSetup.oem file
    | caused an error." (I think that was the filename... I'm at work now.)
    |
    | I created the SATA driver floppy for XP installation from the CD that
    | came with the motherboard. When that didn't work, I downloaded the SATA
    | 1.33 driver from Abit's site and extracted it. I'm sure I copied the
    | files to the floppy just as they were extracted without mucking up the
    | file structure, so what could I be doing wrong? I can't believe I'm
    | having so much trouble with SATA... it shouldn't be this much of a
    | PITA, should it?

    Hi Richard -

    When you ran the self-extracting .exe file for the SATA drivers, you specify
    a folder where the drivers are to extract.

    Extract to your hard disk.

    Then copy everything under the SATA_DriverDisk_V1.33 folder to a floppy. Do
    not copy the folder itself, just the txtsetup.oem file, along with all the
    sub-folders, so your diskette, when browsed in Windows Explorer shows:

    (A:)
    Intel File Folder
    Silicon File Folder
    VIA File Folder
    txtsetup.oem OEM File

    Jef

    JefN, May 13, 2005

  3. richard.fincham

    Goober Guest

    Many thanks for this helpful information, Jef. I will try it tonight
    when I get home!

    Goober, May 13, 2005
  4. richard.fincham

    Goober Guest

    Unfortunately, Jef, that didn't work, either. It appears that Abit has
    posted the wrong TxtSetup.oem file for the SATA 1.33 drivers. (If you'd
    care to, take a look at it after downloading from here:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=226) No
    8237 entries even appear in the file, and the only entries that I see are
    for Silicon Graphics and Intel, neither of which the VA-20 has, of course.

    I had to go to Via's site and download the Via SATA v. 2.20E drivers and
    then dig around in the extracted folders there to find the files and folders
    I needed to make a driver floppy that worked for Windows XP installation
    (the "F6" and "S" thing). I finally got it all working, though, and after I
    successfully installed Windows XP to the SATA drive, I ran the SATA setup
    from the VA-20's installation CD.

    Geez, and I thought the Promise Ultra133 TX2 card in my old machine was a
    hassle to set up with XP!

    Goober, May 14, 2005
  5. richard.fincham

    JefN Guest

    | Unfortunately, Jef, that didn't work, either. It appears that Abit has
    | posted the wrong TxtSetup.oem file for the SATA 1.33 drivers. (If you'd
    | care to, take a look at it after downloading from here:
    | http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=226)
    No
    | 8237 entries even appear in the file, and the only entries that I see are
    | for Silicon Graphics and Intel, neither of which the VA-20 has, of course.
    |
    | I had to go to Via's site and download the Via SATA v. 2.20E drivers and
    | then dig around in the extracted folders there to find the files and
    folders
    | I needed to make a driver floppy that worked for Windows XP installation
    | (the "F6" and "S" thing). I finally got it all working, though, and after
    | successfully installed Windows XP to the SATA drive, I ran the SATA setup
    | from the VA-20's installation CD.
    |
    | Geez, and I thought the Promise Ultra133 TX2 card in my old machine was a
    | hassle to set up with XP!

    Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble.

    But, from a practical standpoint, you have a newer driver with the download
    from VIA. I pondered sending you that route after writing my original post.

    Good to hear you're up and running, at least.

    Jef

    JefN, May 14, 2005