Can't install SY-KT600 Dragon Plus with Athlon XP 2600+

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Roger, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Roger

    Roger Guest

    I have buy a SY-KT600 Dragon Plus MB and AMD Athlon XP 2600+ FSB
    333Mhz 2083Mhz processor. After installation procedures below all the
    funs are working, there is no beeping sound, but no video comes up.
    I have tried with and without memory installed and with an Athlon 1Ghz
    processor but none off them works.

    The installation procedure was:
    1. Install the CPU
    2. FJ1 jumpers set to 23 and 45
    3. RJ2 switch set to on,on,off,off,on,on,on
    4. The CPU Fan power connector is plugged to cpufan1 BUT the fan was
    not mounted on the processor. The fan is next to the Socket A
    5. ABR jumper is disabled
    6. No memory is plugged
    7. VGA card MX200 is plugged
    8. Speaker and PWRBT are connected

    What is wrong???

    Roger, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Roger

    Scott Guest

    If you assembled it as you said, leaving the fan and heat sink
    off the processor, and powered it you may have ruined the CPU.
    They heat up in something like 5-10 seconds and die with no
    heatsink to remove all the heat.
    Also it needs memory installed to boot.

    Scott, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Thanks for your clarifications. I believe that there is no problem
    with heat. The computer was not ON more than 30 seconds, but can a
    processor really damage in 10 seconds?

    Regards

    Roger, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Roger

    dave Guest

    Yep Toasted faster than one can imagine.

    Dave

    dave, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Roger

    Aaron Dinkin Guest

    Wait ONE second....

    You DISABLED the ANTI-BURN-Regulator
    You connected the CPU FAN, however, you did not sink it to the CPU
    You connected a CPU, without ANY protection from heat whatsoever
    You flipped some dips (the multiplier ones I suppose (i have the
    same board and love it!!!))
    You DID NOT install RAM

    Are you frikin NUTS???

    That is one /GREAT/ way to waste approx. $100 USD

    Gese, If you want a proper installation howto you should of just asked...

    Here we go:::
    1) Ground YourSelf!!!!
    2) Prepare ALL of your perepherals, cards, ANYTHING THAT HAS JUMPERS
    (ie.: such as HardDrives, CD/DVD ROM DRIVES, etc.,)
    3) Set ALL of the Jumpers on the board that you need to set (Refer
    to the manual, READ THE ENTIRE THING before even taking the
    MotherBoard out of the plastic...
    4) Take the CPU out of the CPU CASE/BOX/whatever the cpu came in
    thing..., While handeling the CPU on its edges, DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE
    PINS, CHIPS, or SMD Components on the CPU ITSELF, install the CPU into
    the ZIF socket (this can be done by lifting the arm and finding the
    beveled corners of the ZIF socket, match the beveled corner of the
    CPU with One of the beveled corners of the ZIF socket (there is only
    ONE right way, DO NOT FORCE the CPU it will just DROP RIGHT IN if you
    did it right), once the CPU is seated in the ZIF socket apply the
    heatsink COMPOUND (greese/gel) to the DIE of the CPU, or as some
    heatsink manafacturers say, apply it to the copper core on the
    center of the heat sink, attach the heatsink + fan to the ZIF socket,
    this can be explained better in the manual that came with the CPUFAN,
    or it is also in the SOYO MB Manual too, however I will too explain
    this, there shall be three little nubbs on either side of the ZIF
    socket, what you have to do is ---get it so--- (okay I cannot do this,
    there are just too many different types and styles of CPUFAN, I have
    encountered like 8 different kinds, all with unique installation styles...)
    5) Install the RAM as stated by the instructions that came with the
    RAM itself, and also the instructions that came with your
    MotherBoard, this is as simple as looking for the notch on the RAM
    piece, and looking for the same nub in the RAM slot, do not force it
    for if you do and you force it in the wrong way you will break your
    RAM your MB or both...
    6) You should now install the PS into your case (if you purchased a
    case without a PS installed)
    7) Screw MB into case (you should have already prepared the case in
    such a way that can accept your MB, such as making sure the IO
    BackPlate has enough, or more simply the right holes in the right
    places, if not you should install the IO back plate the came with
    your MB if your MB came with one (which it did).. This can be done in
    several ways but is dependent on the case you have, In the most
    simple of cases all you have to do it put the IO backplate in the
    large rectangular hole in the back of the case where the ports would
    normally be (such as keyboard, lan, serial, LPT, etc), also, it might
    be as hard as having to use a metal cutter to snip little strips of
    metal that are holding the current IO back plate on... also you should
    prepare any other metal aspect of the case, if you look in the case
    and there is a preforated metal rectangle blocking your drive bays you
    should remove them by stressing the metal by moving the pieces back
    and forth and back and forth...)
    8) Connect MB to PS using the CABLE or CABLES
    9) Connect the MB to the powerbutton, resetbutton, PowerOK LED, HDD LED,
    PC SPEAKER, and other cables that are coming out of the case
    (not the IDE/SCSI/SATA cables yet) that would seem to fit on
    individual pins (to figure out where all the cables go, and to what
    pins what goes to what, you HAVE to consult your MB manual because
    EVERY MB is different...)
    10) You should POST (Power OKAY/ON Self Test) which is just pressing
    the PowerButton and hope to God, in Her magnificent beauty and
    power, that it works...
    11.....) If your system POSTs and everything is OK then connect all
    the rest of the cables, cards, and MISC stuff you bought to make
    your computer KEWL!!!

    ***Notice this infos is public domain acknowledging SnailCitations,
    however it cannot be plagarized, the work must have a reference stating
    that this is not my own, unless you are the author of these words, the
    author of these words stated above is "Aaron 'Snail:Lewis' Dinkin" and
    thus stated use of this is not restricted in any way concerning
    distrabution, however, thus stated that this is public domain does not
    mean that these words are words of an individual other than "Aaron
    'Snail:Lewis' Dinkin" the public domain attribution covers the means of
    free distrabution, not under the precept of non-ownership; as stated,
    this document is public domain acknowledging SnailCitations Notice***

    Aaron Dinkin, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Roger

    Woobie Guest

    No, it's probably not toasted. Did you say that your memory is unplugged?
    Does this mean you used no memory on start-up? Also, you really should
    install the fan before bootup. Install that memory. You can't boot anything
    without memory.
    Joe

    Woobie, Jan 1, 2004
  7. Roger

    Roger Guest

    All of you are right.

    Aaron. Your explanation is obvious but great. Just for clarification,
    all what I have change (like ABR, dips and memory) was because nothing
    was working from the beginning. Sorry if it was not clear.

    Well, the result is. I have returned the processor to supplier and he
    has detected a malfunction on it. In fact I don't know if the problem
    can be of manufacture or because overheat. I will wait the result of
    the supplier

    Regards,
    Sorry for my bad English and never plus a processor without a good
    cooler!

    Roger, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Roger

    William Guest

    Man Install the damn thing the way the manual tells you. And yes this
    is a great board. I have 10 of them running in two rooms. No problems
    at all

    whats the word on that cpu. I have three xp2600's overclocked and
    running fine

    William, Jan 12, 2004