Can't install Win XP on Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus motherboard

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Seben, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. Seben

    Seben Guest

    Hello everyone, any assistance greatly appreciated on the following
    issue..

    System reboots when it starts to copy files during win xp intallation
    (when the installation percentage appears).

    Intallation sequence of events
    1. Boot from Windows XP CD
    2. Install Via ATA/IDE and Raid latest drivers from soyo website (by
    pressing 'F6')
    2. Create a 30 gig partition and format NTFS
    3. Select to install in partition just created
    4. A 'Starting Windows' shows at bottom of screen
    5. 'Copying files' shows at bottom of screen and a percentage bar
    shows in middle

    This is the step (5) where it reboots. I've tried a few times and the
    most it ever went up to was 17% on the percentage bar before it
    rebooted.

    The cpu temperature is fine, at 55 degrees celcius at most. I've tried
    disabling the antiburn feature of the mb and NO luck.

    KT600 Dragon Plus
    Athlon XP 2000+
    Ultra 512MB PC3200
    XFX GeForceFX 5600XT 128MB DDR 8X AGP
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB EIDE drive
    Standard floppy
    Standard DVD-ROM

    The odd thing is that I was able to install windows 2000 without a
    problem. And it ran stable for a few days but I really want Windows XP
    in there. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

    Seben, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Seben

    Jim B. Guest

    (Seben) wrote in message
    With the single Seagate EIDE have it connected to IDE 1 set the drive
    to cable select and make sure its connected to the end of the ribbon
    cable. Put your DVD drive on IDE 2 have it set to master and connect
    it to the end of it's ribbon cable.

    Enter the motherboard BIOS and make sure it's detecting both drives.
    Then set your boot order to:

    #1 CD-Rom
    #2 HDD-0
    #3 Floppy

    Reboot the computer with your WinXP in the drive

    As it starts up DO NOT HIT F6, there is no need to install the RAID
    driver if your not going to use the controller. This driver is only
    needed for SATA hard drives connected to the controller.

    XP is most likely hanging during setup because it's looking for
    something connected when there is nothing connected to it.

    On the first reboot you will see the "Hit any key to boot from CD"
    message come back up. DO NOT HIT ANY KEY it will continue and boot
    from your hard drive.

    Once WinXP is up and running then install your VIA 4 in 1 drivers,
    Sound drivers and any other that you may need. But you do not need the
    VIA RAID controller driver at all with the setup you listed.

    Hope this helps you

    Jim B., Aug 22, 2004

  3. are you using the special hard drive cable?
    silly question I guess!
    later,
    dave

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Seben

    dave Guest

    Use only the 40 wire ribbon cable for the dvd unit.
    Dave

    dave, Aug 24, 2004
  5. Seben

    Jim B. Guest

    If the hard drive is an EIDE drive like he said in the original post
    he has to use the 40 wire 80 pin cables for both drives. If the drive
    is an SATA drive then he needs to use the red SATA drive cable and he
    will need the following files and folders copied from the downloaded
    driver zip file he got from the SOYO web site on a floppy disk for
    installation during XP setup

    He will need the PIDE\WinXP folder, the RAID\WinXP folder and the
    TXTsetup.oem file all on a floppy disk. These are the only folders and
    file he needs on the floppy disk. He does not want all of the
    downloaded files on the floppy, only those I listed.

    Then on bootup he should have the floppy disk in the drive and hit F-6
    when asked. He needs to leave the disk in the drive it will ask him
    later in the installation to his the "S" key to install third party
    raid or scsi controller drivers. When he hits the "S" key it will then
    read the disk and he can select the driver he want's, which for a
    single drive would be the PIDE driver. After doing so it will come up
    with the screen asking again if he wants to install another third
    party raid or scsi controller driver, this time he should hit "enter"
    to continue on with the installation of XP. He can take the disk out
    after this.

    Jim B., Aug 24, 2004
  6. Seben

    Seben Guest

    Thanks all for your reply.

    Yes, I'm using the 80 pin IDE cable. ATA100 HD attached to the end of
    the cable (black connector) and using IDE1 on mb. CD-ROM using IDE2
    with another 80 IDE cable and connected to black connector at end of
    cable. BIOS detects both devices correctly.

    I've tried both enable/disable the SATA Raid controller in BIOS.
    negative.

    I tried the procedure listed below, only installing the PIDE driver
    and same negative result.

    I've tried using different HALs at install (F5) and none helped.

    Also, I've tried different HDs and same result.

    I am clueless as to what is causing this..

    Installation gets to the point where it starts to copy files and then
    poof system reboots without finishing copying files, so it starts
    again. This is the farthest it gets. Sometimes I get different STOP
    errors.

    Is it possible that the RAM is bad or incompatible?

    what is a goog RAM testing utility I can use?

    Thanks.

    Seben, Aug 31, 2004
  7. Seben

    dave Guest

    Your cd-rom needs a 40 wire cable. The 80 wire is not compatable with the device.
    Dave

    dave, Sep 1, 2004
  8. Seben

    Ed Guest

    Hmmmm? I use a 80pin IDE cables on all my (AMD XP/64) dvdrw/cdrws, never
    had a problem, don't see why you would. URL?

    Ed

    Ed, Sep 1, 2004
  9. Seben

    Jim B Guest

    Dave,

    There all 40 pin but 80 conductor cables these days. You can't even buy the
    old style 40 pin connectors anymore. When they went to EIDE controllers the
    plug changed. He's using the correct cable on his CD drive

    Jim B, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Seben

    Jim B Guest

    First with the hard drive on IDE1 your Raid controller is unneeded and
    should be set to disabled. Your first boot device should be CD-ROM and
    second boot device set to HDD-0, third boot device set to Floppy.

    You can download and run Memtest on your computer, it's a free download and
    you just put it on a floppy disk and let your computer boot to the floppy.
    Let it run for a few hours and see if it comes up with errors. It's not
    uncommon to find bad memory. One of the problems related to memory errors is
    problems writing and reading files from a hard disk.

    Jim B, Sep 2, 2004
  11. Seben

    Seben Guest

    Computer freezes when running MemTest86+. I think is on test 5.

    bad RAM(brand new)? or incompatible?

    bad board (brand new)? bad cpu (paid for pre-tested/brand new)?

    Thanks Jim.

    Seben, Sep 3, 2004
  12. Seben

    Seben Guest

    I forgot to mentioned that memtest86+ reported 2 errors before it froze.

    Seben, Sep 3, 2004
  13. Seben

    Jim B Guest

    If the ram is new I would exchange it for another first if its a good high
    quality brand. You can't go wrong with mushin, corsair, infineon or geil.
    But even with these brands you want there higher quality ram. But if your
    using cheapo bargan priced stuff, exchange it for something better. With the
    memory errors in Memtest and the freezing on test 5, thats where I would be
    doing.

    Jim B, Sep 3, 2004