Can't install XP Highpoint 370 drivers on Abit TH7

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Richard, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Can anyone help me here. I have downloaded the latest abit drivers
    for the TH7 which flashes the onboard Highpoint Controller to v2.34.
    However, I cannot get XP SP2 to recognise the device. If I point
    Device Manager to the windows xp drivers (downloaded from
    www.highpoint-tech.com - v2.351) it starts to install and then gives
    me the following error message:-

    "There was a problem installing this hardware

    Mass Storage Controller

    The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary
    entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or
    later. Contact your hardware vendor."

    Huh?

    I have tried installing a fresh version of Windows XP SP2, and
    pressing F6 to install my third party driver. I then get this
    message:-

    "file \win_xp\hpt3xx.sys caused an unexpected error (18) at line 2113
    in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c"

    From other threads I understand that this might be caused by the fact
    that the version the highpoint bios is installed to (2.34) and the
    version that I am trying to set windows xp to (v2.351) are not the
    same. But I cannot find a copy of the windows xp drivers at version
    2.34.

    Can anyone help me with my problem here?

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 6, 2005

  2. "Richard" wrote in message...
    Eh? Can you tell us exactly what you're trying to do here? Are you trying to
    update your Windows drivers, or update the controller BIOS? Here you're
    talking about "flashing the controller", but further down you're talking
    about drivers. We can't help you unless you make it clear what you're trying
    to do!

    The one thing to say right now is that if you are trying to update your
    controller BIOS, you're going about it the wrong way.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Any chance you could start again?
    When you pressed F6, where did the driver floppy disk come from?
    Firstly, F6'ing should, in theory, install any driver, whether the versions
    match or not, so that is not the cause of your inability to load the driver.
    Secondly, you're right, the driver and BIOS revisions should match, under
    ideal circumstances.
    They're still available via HighPoint's FTP site, as well as TomG's private
    FTP server. If push comes to shove, you can use the 2.35 drivers available
    for download from Highpoint. 2.351 was, IIRC, designed for PCI cards only.
    It's extremely difficult to "help" you given the confusing manner in which
    the first couple of paragraphs of your post are written. If you make it
    clear what you're trying to do here, we should be able to tell you what
    you're doing wrong.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Highpoint's website. www.highpoint-tech.com
    Nope. Not having any luck.

    Thank you for your post.

    Okay, let me start from the beginning.

    Firstly,

    I am trying to upgrade my machine from W2K to XP SP2. I have moved my
    two ATA100 hard drives from IDE Channels 3 & 4 to 1 & 2 in order to do
    this. I can install the OS fine. The only thing is, I cannot install
    the Highpoint 370 Controller on XP. Having downloaded the Highpoint
    Drivers 2.351 fromt the Highpoint website, Windows starts to install,
    before giving me the message:-

    "There was a problem installing this hardware

    Mass Storage Controller

    The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary
    entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or
    later. Contact your hardware vendor."

    Having read numerous threads in this group I tried the following:-

    Secondly,

    I made up a diskette with the Highpoint Drivers 2.351 and tried to
    reinstall XP SP2. At the F6 prompt I hit F6 to add a specific device
    driver and when prompted, I put in the diskette, and selected to
    install the Highpoint 370/372 drivers for XP. This is when I got the
    following error message.

    "file \win_xp\hpt3xx.sys caused an unexpected error (18) at line 2113
    in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c"

    I was unable to continue with the XP install using this driver.

    Thirdly,

    Again taking advice from this group which which advises on ensuring
    you are using the same version of the Highpoint Controller Bios
    (v2.31) as you are the XP Driver (2.351) I tried to ensure that my
    motherboard had the latest bios version, which would also ensure that
    my Highpoint Controller was also running the latest version. I
    downloaded the utility from the Abit site and flashed the motherboard
    to Award Bios 3.05.00 (04/14/03) and the Highpoint Controller to
    v2.34.

    But I am having exactly the same errors. Won't somebody help me,
    please?

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I've just downloaded 2.34 from Tom G's FTP Server, but this was also
    to no avail.

    I don't know if this helps, but my CD drive is a Plextor running from
    an Adaptec PCI SCSI 29160

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Richard

    JefN Guest

    | I've just downloaded 2.34 from Tom G's FTP Server, but this was also
    | to no avail.
    |
    | I don't know if this helps, but my CD drive is a Plextor running from
    | an Adaptec PCI SCSI 29160
    |

    | Richard

    Hi Richard -

    This begs the obvious: Are you navigating to the correct folder for the
    Highpoint driver for Windows XP?

    Jef

    JefN, Feb 7, 2005
  6. As mentioned previously, you should use either the (preferably) 2.34 or 2.35
    build drivers if you have the 2.34 BIOS. You also need to make sure that you
    create the diskette correctly. You must copy the directory structure over
    exactly, and you also need the txtsetup.oem file.
    Right. Is Win2k installed and running properly on the Highpoint controller?
    Where did you get the idea that you had to do that? It's the wrong move,
    unnecessary at best, counterproductive at worst. Put them back on 3 and 4,
    as they were.
    As mentioned above, use 2.34 or 2.35.
    The likeliest explanation for that is incorrect or incomplete creation of
    the driver diskette. The easiest way to do it is just to copy the entire
    contents of the zip file over to the diskette intact - making sure you
    preserve the directory structure.
    Is the WinXP CD you're trying to install a genuine, Microsoft disc, or is it
    a homebrew you've created by slipstreaming the SP2 package into the original
    CD with nLite or similar? If the latter, install from the vanilla Windows XP
    CD first, and stick SP2 on once you've got the OS loaded.
    Eh? Make your mind up. In your original post you seemed to be saying you
    were running the 2.34 Highpoint BIOS.
    The build ID of that BIOS is "DV", not "3.05.00".
    Right, that's one point of confusion ironed out. If you know that the
    Highpoint BIOS and driver should match, why were you trying to install
    2.351?
    Lol, excuse us if we don't get the violins out. The problems you're having
    are almost certain to be down to user error at some point. I've pointed out
    the likeliest problem areas above, if you eliminate them one by one you
    should soon arrive at a workable configuration.

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard

    Thank you very much for your help. I didn't realise you had to keep
    the directory structure of the Highpoint Drivers in place!

    Simple really.

    Anyway. Thank you.

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 7, 2005