Can't Post new KT600 Dragon Ultra

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by MuahMan, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. MuahMan

    MuahMan Guest

    Here's My situation...I had a great computer. A Athlon XP 2100+ with 1 Gig
    DDR333 (PC2700). Never had a problem with up until 2 weeks ago. Suddenly it
    started shutting down for no reason. Then I would get a warning that CPU was
    overheating and shutting down. Then as soon as I turned it on the processor
    overheated and shutdown. I don't know why it happened all of a sudden after
    two years. At any rated I figured i take advantage of this and upgrade.

    I purchased a Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum and a new Athlon XP 2500+
    (Barton 333 FSB). I am using the same case. A nice Antec that includes a 330
    watt PSU. I put the new MB in, screwed it down. Put the processor in,
    applied a bit of thermal paste to the core and installed a brand new CPU fan
    plugged in the CPU1 fan slot on the MB . Put in just one stick of ram
    (another issue? It's not on their list of memory but it has worked fine) one
    hard and GeForce5600 with 128mb. I reset the cmos. I plugged the tiny
    switches like HD Led, Power LEd, and Power Switch.

    However, when I turn it on it doesn't post. The fans both CPU and Chasis
    power up for a second, a constant beep starts and the fans shutdown. The
    beep continues until I power it off. I can't power it back on unless I
    unplug the cord in the back and plug it back in. I'm pretty stumped at this
    point as I've building and servicing PC's for a long time. This is however
    my first non-Asus board. Any ideas? I'm going to get a new PSU in a few.
    See if that works.....

    Any help would be appreciatted.

    MuahMan, Feb 4, 2004

  2. MuahMan

    acajka Guest

    Sounds like the FOC protection activating. Hold down the insert key while
    applying power.Go into the PC health screen in bios setup and turn it off.

    Andy

    acajka, Feb 5, 2004

  3. MuahMan

    dave Guest

    a 4 to 500 watt ps is needed. Go to the Soyo site. Your issue is
    covered in the support section.
    Dave

    dave, Feb 5, 2004
  4. MuahMan

    Sue McCartin Guest

    Gods! I hope when you say thermal paste you really mean you're using
    something like Artic silver II/III or Antec Silver compound. Plain old
    run of the mill thermal paste like they sell at radio shack is not to be
    used on a cpu in that speed range! It will do nothing but break down and
    cause an overheat issue as it migrates off the center of the cpu. (I've
    been there and seen it happen, the last cpu I bought the jackoff at the
    computer store put a mixture of thermal and silver paste on it and I
    couldn't figure out why my cpu looked like it had thickened elmer's glue
    all over it when I popped the fan off to find out why it kept rebooting
    on me.) If you really mean you used thermal paste get it the hell off
    there and get some artic silver or similar, if you don't I don't want to
    hear any whining in a month or two when you have a cooked cpu.
    Traditional white thermal grease will WILL NOT protect your 2500+ cpu.

    Sue McCartin, Feb 7, 2004
  5. MuahMan

    MuahMan Guest

    Thanks for all the replies. I will certainly hit CompUSA and see if they
    have some Artic Silver as yes I'm using that white good that came with the
    CPU. The problem was btw. The fan was clipped on, but it was not clipped on
    properly. I took it off switch the direction which let it sit better and
    seemed to have solved the problem. I also added a ThermalTake 550 Watt PSU.
    Now all i have left to figure out why it's seeing my Athlon XP2500+ as and
    1100 on boot up. Do I have to increase the speed to 166 in the bios? I
    thought it did that automatically?

    Thanks Again.

    MuahMan, Feb 7, 2004
  6. MuahMan

    Sue McCartin Guest

    that'll do it, if the fan's not on right it won't cool and thus the
    thermal protection on the motherboard kicks in to protect it. I don't
    have that board yet (on the list for next spare funds) but on most
    boards that I've seen the FSB is not automatic, you still have a jumper
    for that one in most cases and they leave the jumper set in the lower
    range by default so you don't accidentally cook your cpu. Yep, you need
    to be 166 fsb but the question is whether than board auto sets that or
    if there's a jumper or bios setting someplace, I'd bet on a jumper
    before a bios setting. Sometimes that auto crap doesn't work right I've
    heard but what you're talking about is most probably a wrong fsb setting.

    Sue McCartin, Feb 7, 2004
  7. MuahMan

    david paine Guest

    i would say your board is shorting out to the case

    david paine, Feb 14, 2004