Can't print to HP LaserJet printer via Windows Printing

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveC, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    I can print to one of the HP LaserJet 2100tn printers via AppleTalk. But when
    I try to add the printer (via the Printer Setup Utility), I can't see it.

    1. I click the Add button
    2. I select Windows Printing from the drop-down list
    3. I select a workgroup from the lower drop-down list

    No printers show up in the list.

    There are 2 HP LJ printers on the net, but none of them show up under Windows
    Printing.

    Am I doing something wrong?

    Also, I tried adding a printer via IP Printing. But when I try to print, I
    get no indication that the printer has received the job; no output.

    Maybe I'm not using the right IP address for the printer? How do I find out
    the IP address?

    Mac OS X 10.3.4; HP LaserJet 2100tn

    Thanks,

    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC, Nov 11, 2004

  2. I own this same printer and I print to it with IP printing. I select
    socket/HPJetDirect but you do need to know the IP address.

    You can test the address you have via telnet. The JetDirect server will
    let you login by telnet, assuming you have the correct address.

    Assuming it's a private address like mine:
    telnet 192.168.0.3
    Trying 192.168.0.3...
    Connected to 192.168.0.3.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    HP JetDirect

    Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
    To Change/Configure Parameters Enter:
    Parameter-name: value <Carriage Return>

    Software like IPNetMonitorX might help you find the machine address. In
    my case a local address scan of 192.168.0.1/24 (my entire private
    network) using ping showed this:

    192.168.0.3 Sent Received 0.002 00:10:83:54:32:1EHEWLETT-PACKARD
    COMPANY

    That confirms that it is at 192.16.0.3

    I use IP printing even for my Windows machines but if you need Windows
    printing, you'll want to use a Windows machine and login to the
    JetDirect server from Windows IE, JetDirect uses a web server and you
    can set it up from there. It won't load from the Mac OS.

    HtH

    Heather Donahue, Nov 11, 2004

  3. DaveC

    The Mage Guest

    To answer your original question,

    HP Jet Direct is the method of printing if you have an HP printer, and
    you need the IP address or the network WINS name if you are accessing a
    network printer in a domain administered by Active Directory (the
    Windows way of providing directory access services).

    IP printing is for non-HP printers that are connected via IP (general
    IP).

    Windows printing is for printing to a Windows-server administered
    queue. For example, in a corporation, your Windows 2000 server called
    "dummy" might be the "print server." In that case, the printer is
    connected to "dummy.domain.com" (we hope). You choose Windows printing
    so that "dummy" can decide whose print jobs have what preference or
    ordering. However, it's fairly problematic, so I don't recommend you
    do this unless exact WYSIWYG is not important.

    With OS X, there is no need to use AppleTalk to connect to a printer.
    Basically, if it's HP, use JetDirect, if it's not, use IP. If you're
    at home and you have 2-10 computers hooked up, use AppleTalk because
    the broadcasting won't matter and it will be the easiest to use.
    The Mage

    The Mage, Jan 24, 2005
  4. I had a lot of trouble getting my HP 1012 to print via my Windows XP
    system to which it is connected because of bad drivers for that printer
    model. From various google searches and various installation attempts
    I found hpijs-foomatic-1.5.ppc.dmg (and if I remember correctly with
    GhostScript) I was able to print correctly. Occasionally the printer
    prints an unrecoginized PCL message which I can fix by powering off and
    back on the printer.

    John W Gintell, Jan 24, 2005