Can't send mht files from windows Journal using Yahoo mail

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by bh456-mht, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. bh456-mht

    bh456-mht Guest

    I can use Windows Journal to create and "send to mail recipient..." jnt and
    tif files without problem via Yahoo email. But, if I use the mht option, the
    file seems to attach fine to Yahoo, but after pressing Yahoo's Send, the
    screen returns with this error message:

    "There was a problem:
    There is a problem with one or more of the attached
    files. Please remove and re-attach your files, and try
    again.

    Your message has not been sent."

    Always happens that way. Never works.

    It even happens if I first save an mht to disk and then try to send it as a
    normal attachment. I can even reboot between tries to ensure no other
    application is using it, etc. Happens on different computers with different
    operating systems. Happened to the one person I asked to try it on their own
    account on their own computer. I've tried it with virus and firewalls
    removed, etc.

    Other file types give me no problem (doc, txt, jpg, etc.), just mht and mhthm.

    Mht send fine with other web mail such as Hotmail.

    Yahoo has not provided a solution in two months, or anything substantive to
    try, so I thought I'd at least mention it where 'mht files originate' so to
    speak, since it's only with mht files.

    I purchased OneNote for this tablet but too late I find out you MUST have
    Outlook 2003 to do any "SEND TO" at all from OneNote, so that is less than no
    solution.

    Anbody else with this problem? Any answers?

    bh456-mht, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Put the MHT in a zip file before sending.

    Mike Williams [MVP], Nov 24, 2004

  3. bh456-mht

    bh456-mht Guest

    Yes, I appreciate the workaround. I'm hoping someone has the fix, as it
    defeats the smoothness of sending from Journal from the built-in feature.
    Have you heard of this problem before?

    bh456-mht, Nov 24, 2004
  4. bh456-mht

    Chris H. Guest

    If Yahoo mail is blocking the certain attachment, you won't be able to do it
    without using Mike's work-around. It wouldn't be an issue in Windows
    Journal.

    Chris H., Nov 25, 2004
  5. It may have detected the scripting code in the MHT file (used to handle
    multiple page display) and refused to send it.

    Mike Williams [MVP], Nov 25, 2004
  6. bh456-mht

    bh456-mht Guest

    Yeah...I was figuring Yahoo would either tell me they were intentionally
    doing it, or un-do what they were doing. Instead, they profess they need
    more information from me (when it happens, what any error messages say, etc.
    -- which I supply them) but they never say that they've had it happen or are
    really aware of what I have just told them. It may be that I'm replying to
    robotic, canned messages that don't quite delve deep enough. In fact, I
    expected that at first, but it's been a few weeks of this. After they send
    me detailed questions and I give them detailed answers, and/or they want (and
    I grant) permission to 'go into' my account to check things out, their end of
    the conversation stops. After a week or two I resend and with some
    variation, we proceede once again.

    Just for info, I tried taking a txt file (which emails fine) and renamed as
    a mht...and it failed...so it's not the 'innards' of the file.

    Thanks for listening.

    bh456-mht, Nov 25, 2004
  7. bh456-mht

    Chris H. Guest

    Sounds like Mike posted. Yahoo is detecting it as a possible script and
    therefore blocking it. His suggestion of zipping the file may be the only
    solution. I'll guarantee you Yahoo is not about to allow scripts in their
    system.

    Chris H., Nov 25, 2004
  8. bh456-mht

    bh456-mht Guest

    I don't think they're 'detecting' much: One thing I tried was emailing a
    plain '.txt' file (which went just fine), then just renamed the file with the
    extension '.mht' and tried it again. The mht name produced the same symptoms
    as a real mht and would not send. So I think they aren't detecting anything
    but just blocking that name? (Odd, since it readily sent EXE which I thought
    would be more problematic.)

    Other mail programs take mht, etc. Aren't they as worried? Or do they have
    some method of checking deeper rather than just rejecting all mht? Is there
    a technical reference on the microsoft site that I could mention when I again
    contact Yahoo? Maybe Yahoo is taking a simplistic approach for lack of
    something ...else? This is deeper than I understand, but could maybe point
    them to a place.

    Thanks

    bh456-mht, Nov 25, 2004
  9. bh456-mht

    Chris H. Guest

    Sounds like they're just blocking that extension for whatever reason. It
    would be up to Yahoo for the explanation, not Microsoft.

    Chris H., Nov 25, 2004