Can't upgrade to XP-pro on a KM2M Combo board - it says the drive is corrupted? It's fine though.

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Netguider, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Netguider

    Netguider Guest

    Hi guys,

    I usually use the ASUS combo boards but they only had one in stock. I bought
    it along with two MSI - KM2M combo boards. I installed Windows ME with no
    trouble, but when I tried to upgrade to XP-Pro, it would go so far, then
    give me an error, "Setup Can't continue because the disk is corrupted and
    can't be fixed." At this point, it would shut down. ME would boot back up
    though just fine.

    I also bought two new Western digital hard drives (80 gig) and I ran all the
    diagnostics and they are both fine. Nothing wrong at all. I even F-disked
    the drives and ran a high level format just in case the included floppy was
    corrupted. Didn't help. I'm sure the drives are OK. Next, I installed
    Windows 98 SE and tried to update from there with the same results. I had a
    second XP disk and it does the same thing. I've swapped hard drives,
    CD-roms, software, etc. I'm thinking it's the MSI boards, but I can't
    imagine two of them doing the same thing?

    I'm not very thrilled with MSI at the moment. I started this project at 7:30
    and it's now 3:30. Eight hours invested and I'm at zero. I have three
    systems to deliver on Monday morning. It's a 100 mile round trip back to the
    nearest computer store. Anyone have any ideas for me to try before I head
    out Sunday afternoon? Does MSI have special CMOS settings that I may be
    missing in order for XP to run? I don't believer I've ever come across this
    problem before.

    Thanks,

    Netguider

    Netguider, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Netguider

    Miles Guest

    Do not install ME first. Boot from the XP CD and tell it to repartition
    the drive and install from scratch. If you are using an XP upgrade disk
    it will ask for proof of elgibility. When it does, insert your ME disk
    and XP's installation will continue. You do not need to install ME
    first and doing so could cause problems.

    Miles, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Netguider

    Netguider Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the come-back. I set my cmos to boot from the CD but it won't
    boot from the Upgrade disk. I booted from the floppy and logged onto the CD
    and went to the I286 directory and I'm running the ntsetup program, but I
    think I've been here, done that. I think it will bomb out in a while.

    I sure do miss those ASUS combo boards. This ten hours screwing around with
    this MSI board will be the last time. I'll bet I've built twenty ASUS
    systems this year and never had a glitch.

    Any other ideas? I do appreciate your suggestions.

    Thanks,

    Netguider

    Netguider, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Netguider

    Netguider Guest

    I'm running low on time now. It's a 100 mile round trip to the computer
    store and I have to get these three systems built for delivery tomorrow. I'm
    going to dump these two MSI boards and go ahead and buy ASUS boards. They
    are out of the combos but I have video cards and network cards here. I'll
    lose some money there, but I can't afford to tie up any more time screwing
    around.

    Sure learned a lesson here. Stay with what works! Miles, thanks for trying
    to help out.

    Netguider

    Netguider, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Netguider

    Miles Guest

    Did you tell it to delete and overwrite existing partition? You want to
    do a clean install without any remnants of ME on it.

    I have built about 50 MSI based PC's and have had very little trouble.
    I have heard ASUS is pretty good as well. However, I changed away from
    ASUS a few years back when they have considerable instability problems
    with BIOS issues. They seem to have resolved that though.

    Miles, Nov 16, 2003
  6. Netguider

    Miles Guest

    Could be bad memory as well. I've built 3 of the KM2M's and the only
    problem I had was one of them refused to work with a memory module that
    worked fine in other PC's. Replaced the module and all has been fine.

    I change motherboard brands every few years. Seems no manufacture is
    perfect. For years I bought only Tyan boards. Excellent reliability
    and service. But that changed in the mid 90's. Then I went with ASUS.
    Same thing, great for awhile then many problems. MSI and ASUS both
    had problems with blown capacitors a couple years ago. Probably bought
    from the same supplier.

    Miles, Nov 16, 2003
  7. Netguider

    neopolaris Guest

    You probably need to boot from CD only. Turn everything else off to boot.
    I always thought that board was easy to setup.

    neopolaris, Nov 18, 2003