Can't use pci video card as primary video adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dan, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. dan

    dan Guest

    I have a PCI video card that I am trying to use as my primary (or
    possibly only) video card and my computer doesn't want me to do that.
    In my BIOS I have the option of setting the primary video controller
    to AGP or to Auto which uses PCI first or AGP if a PCI video card
    isn't found. So I set it to Auto (have tried with 'DAC Snooping' on
    or off) and when I restart or turn on next, I get no video out of
    either card. To fix it I have to remove the PCI card so the Auto
    setting will choose my working AGP card. I've tried many things here
    such as playing with the IRQ settings in the BIOS, removing the AGP
    card, and physically looking for jumpers/switches on either card, but
    have had no luck. I know the video from the PCI card works since I
    can make it work fine (as either a primary or secondary monitor) in
    Windows, but I have never seen any video out of it before Windows
    finished booting.

    Here's the full situation: I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro PCI
    card that I am trying to install. I found out that I need to use it
    as the primary video card in order to use the TV tuner functionality
    on it. I assume it must be the primary card in BIOS as I can't get
    Windows to detect it as a video capture device. My AGP card in a
    nVidia GeForce something.

    Any ideas?

    dan, Sep 2, 2004

  2. What kind of MOBO do you have?
    BIOS Version?
    Any updates that may apply?

    I think it will most likely be a BIOS configuration issue to enable
    PCI over AGP video.

    dwaynethompson22, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Hi Dan,
    Set your BIOS to Auto. Shut Down the system. Remove the AGP card.
    Start the system. If it still doesn't work, restart the system and
    boot to safe mode and change your resolution to 640x480 and reboot.
    Then get the latest drivers for the new card. Then change the
    resolution back to what you want and reboot. If that all doesn't work,
    contact ATI about the BIOS setting and make sure the motherboard
    should recognize the card. If so, contact the motherboard manufacturer
    for information on how to get it to work properly.

    Silicon Alley Computers
    www.siliconalleycomputers.com

    Silicon Alley Computers, Sep 3, 2004
  5. dan

    dan Guest

    I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with BIOS version A02. Not sure how to
    check the MOBO.

    I doubt this is an issue of upgrading the BIOS, because this is a very
    old card and a relatively new comp. I'll look into that though. Now
    when I select Auto, the only choice besides AGP, I'm almost positive
    it is finding the AIW card and attempting (but failing) to initialize
    it. The reason I say this is because when I select Auto and reboot, i
    loose video on my AGP card, but when I physically remove the AIW, my
    AGP card works again.

    I know this isn't an issue of drivers since I can get it to work in
    windows at any allowable resolution; its just when my computer is
    first turning on (up until my desktop loads - before any drivers are
    installed) when I have problems.

    dan, Sep 4, 2004
  6. dan

    dan Guest

    Ok, I found the right BIOS upgrade on the Dell site. I upgraded to
    A08 and still have the same problem.

    dan, Sep 4, 2004
  7. By default DAC is off

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/syssetup.htm#1097056

    Try this:
    Turn DAC on
    Set Video to Auto
    Save and exit and imediately turn the computer off
    Remove the AGP adn install the PCI
    Power on and see if you get video

    I think the DAC option is for system with Intgrated Video (do you have
    it?)

    If this does not work then it probably does not work with PCI video as
    the primary and you should look into getting an AGP with a video tuner
    BTW Dell support will not assist with this issue as it is not using
    the OEM hardware

    -Dwayne

    dwaynethompson22, Sep 4, 2004
  8. dan

    dan Guest

    I think the DAC option is for system with Intgrated Video (do you have

    I do not.

    Thanks a lot everyone for your help but I already did order a new AGP
    card off eBay and I figured I'd just sell the PCI card there (which is
    where I got it.) I got it fairly cheap; I'm sure I can get at least
    the amount I spent on it. The new card I will be getting is a much
    better one anyway (the one I'm gonna sell isn't even supported by ATI
    anymore.) So thanks again, I spent many late LATE nights working on
    this. The new one should work fine.

    Dan

    dan, Sep 5, 2004