    Other option is to build my own database that has filename/caption
    table, and work with it when processing image files. (but this excludes
    linked in to iPhone or Bridge who wouldn't know about that database).

    JF Mezei, Jan 12, 2014

  2. JF Mezei

    Savageduck Guest

    Yes.
    I am going to limit my response to Adobe Bridge & Adobe Lightroom.

    First, what version of Photoshop CS or CC do you use?

    Lightroom 1-5 (Bridge on steroids), and Photoshop CS2-CS6 have an
    "Output" module as part of the features found in Bridge. This gives you
    the ability to create PDFs, proof sheets, slideshows, and a variety of
    web galleries.
    Bridge CC is not delivered with this "Output" module, and it has to be
    installed separately.
    < http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/install-output-module-bridge-cc.html >

    Captions, titles, &/or labels can be part of this output, and can be
    sourced from the individual file name/tag or from edited EXIF data/
    Metadata. In PS or Bridge, the simplest metadata edit, is to go to
    Menu->File->File Info, and in the "Description" panel, enter the
    "Document Title". This title can be shown as a caption in the some of
    the Bridge or Lightroom output options, as can the contents of
    "Description" field.

    There are also options for including general titles and captions when
    formatting the web gallery/slideshow with Bridge or Lightroom.
    With the Adobe options you have OSX and Windows support.
    Note Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5, require OSX 10.7 or later. The last
    versions with OSX 10.6 support are CS6 & LR4.

    Savageduck, Jan 12, 2014