    Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

    P. Ruzicka
    Aurora, CO, USA

    ruzicka, Oct 25, 2005

  2. ruzicka

    Kevin Guest

    Instead of trying to find a car adapter, purchase a converter instead. They
    can be found at stores like Batteries Plus, Staples and Office Depot. They
    can take power directly from a car, boat or rv battery or from a power port
    in your car, boat or recreational vehicle. Price is usually around $40. I
    bought one that can supply power to a laptop, television, refrigerator and
    numerous other electronics and appliances.

    Kevin, Oct 25, 2005

  3. ruzicka

    ruzicka Guest

    Sorry...just want to make sure I understand this....

    This converter would plug into the cigarette lighter, like an adapter, and
    from there connect to either the normal power supply or directly into the
    laptop? It would need to do this, if we wanted to use the laptop while
    driving.

    ruzicka, Oct 25, 2005
  4. (1) You can get an INVERTER that takes 12 volts DC from the car's
    electrical system and uses it to make 120 volt AC house current. The
    Inverter has a normal AC wall socket on it, into which you could plug
    the normal household power supply/charger.

    ***OR***

    (2) You could buy an "Auto/Air Adapter" that plugs into the same 12 volt
    car electrical system and directly runs the laptop, completely replacing
    the normal power supply/charger that you use at home.

    Solution (2) is slightly preferable in most regards but will proably
    cost a bit more. The advantages are it's one unit instead of two, fewer
    wires, and the electrical efficiency is much higher (if that matters).
    Also, some household power supply/chargers won't run from some
    inverters, but such problems are relatively uncommon.

    A note on inverters: Their output is limited. Watts = Volts*Amps, and
    the efficiency of the inverter will vary from perhaps 60% to perhaps
    80%. Most auto cigarette lighters are fused at 30 amps, so the most
    that you can draw through the cigarette lighter socket is about 360
    watts (30 amps * 12 volts). If the inverter is 70% efficient, it's
    maximum output will be about 252 watts. That is more than enough for
    any laptop, but as for Kevin's comment about running a refrigerator ....
    you can't run many refrigerators from an inverter plugged into a vehicle
    cigarette lighter or power socket.

    A further comment, the efficiency of the laptop's AC adapter/charger is
    also 60% to 80%. So if the laptop needs 90 watts (15 volts at 6 amps,
    say), and the efficiency of it's adapter/charger is 70%, the
    adapter/charger will need 128.5 watts. If it is getting it's power from
    an inverter that is also 70% efficient, then the inverter will need to
    draw 183.5 watts to power this 90-watt laptop.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 25, 2005
  5. ruzicka

    MikeG Guest

    So an "Auto/Air Adapter" is really a self contained inverter?. Was shopping
    for my Toshiba this am and its ac adapter specs are Input 120 v @ 1.6 amps
    and the output is 19v @ 3.42 amps. So watts on input = ~192 and output is
    ~ 65 watts. For my setup, the car adapters were $50.

    MikeG, Oct 25, 2005
  6. ruzicka

    Kevin Guest

    Yes. It has standard outlets to power your equipment. You simply plug the
    power cord into it and off you go.

    Kevin, Oct 26, 2005