    corrputs, I'll have to restore the entire image.

    PowerBook G3/400; OS X 10.2.8; CCC 2.2

    Thanks,

    DaveC, Sep 23, 2003

  2. DaveC

    Guest Guest

    RTFM

    Guest, Sep 23, 2003

  3. DaveC

    Enough Guest

    DaveC CAN'T read. cf his prior whinnings.

    Enough, Sep 23, 2003
  4. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    The "fine manual" describes
    1. How to back-up OS X via the command-line interface, or
    2. How to clone the entire drive using CCC

    It does not describe how to
    1. copy and/or restore *only* OS X via the CCC application, or
    2. copy and/or restore *only* all files *except* OS X files via the CCC
    application.

    Specifically missing is mention of how to be sure to back-up the infinite
    number of invisible OS files.

    Any help answering *those* questions would be gratefully appreciated.

    DaveC, Sep 23, 2003
  5. DaveC

    Tom Stiller Guest

    You can select/exclude individual folders from the source drive.
    Infinite number? All files and folders at the file tree root of the
    source drive are displayed. When a folder is copied, all files within
    it are copied.

    Tom Stiller, Sep 23, 2003
  6. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    DaveC, Sep 23, 2003
  7. DaveC

    simples_it Guest

    In the documentation, go to 'Using CCC'.
    In there there is a section entitled 'Instructions'.
    Point 2 of these instructions tells you what you need to know.
    In fact the application itself has a little note in the main window
    telling you how to do this.

    To copy and/or restore *only* OS X, select your 'Users' folder and any
    other folders you have added to the top level folder and press the
    'delete' button.

    To copy and/or restore *only* all files *except* OS X files, select all
    files and folders except your 'Users' folder and any other folders you
    have added and then press the delete button.

    The delete button is the button with a red circle with a red line going
    through it.
    The backup of all of the invisible files used by the OS will be
    accomplished if you follow the instructions above to copy and/or
    restore *only* OS X.

    Rob.

    simples_it, Sep 23, 2003
  8. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Rob,
    Thanks for that.

    I see on the Root level of my hard drive, folders called Help and Documents
    which contain some OS stuff, and some application-specific stuff. I have not
    created these, but application installers have, or OS X has (some are
    obvious, some are not). What should I do with these; back then up or not? It
    is decisions like these that I was hoping to avoid with an automatic OS
    backup mechanism within CCC or other application.

    So there is no automatic way to back-up the OS; only folders and files I
    select will be backed-up, correct?

    In other words, all files and folders on the root level of the drive that are
    not created by me or by an application I installed, is an OS file/folder. By
    eliminating my -- and the application's -- files and folders, what remains is
    the OS' files. (This includes invisible OS files.) Is this what you are
    saying?

    It seems that it is because copying files and folders with CCC (as compared
    to the Finder) includes invisible files and folders that one can back-up OS
    X.

    DaveC, Sep 23, 2003
  9. DaveC

    Peter KERR Guest

    Foresight. You should have partitioned your disk so that the boot volume
    contains only OS-X, and perhaps some of those apps that insist they will
    not run anywhere but inside /Applications.

    Sorry to bore witless other gentle readers, but nearly the first thing I
    see on that page, in big bold letters, is:

    Note: These instructions provide the command-line instructions
    for manual backups or clones. Carbon Copy Cloner follows the
    rules laid out below -- you do not need to follow any of these
    instructions if you use Carbon Copy Cloner.

    Peter KERR, Sep 23, 2003
  10. DaveC

    simples_it Guest

    With any backup stategy, you have to decide what the files/folders
    (including OS ones) are that you want to backup. Only you can decide
    what is valuable/important to you. No software can do that for you.
    See above.
    If you started with a blank disk, then yes.
    Good observation.

    Rob.

    simples_it, Sep 24, 2003