Carbon Copy Cloner over network!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ted Lee, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Ted Lee

    Ted Lee Guest

    I just had what I think is a cool result from an experiment. Carbon
    Copy Cloner will only let you use local drives, either real or mounted
    disk images, so that would mean, I thought, that a backup drive would
    have to be physically connected, in turn, to each machine I want to
    back up to it from. I first did verify the "local only" part by
    creating a disk image on the other machine on my home network, mounting
    the image on that machine, and then connecting to that volume. CCC
    wouldn't let me touch it, even though I could open it with the finder.
    But then I created a disk image (.dmg) on the other machine in a
    directory (desktop) I could access from this machine (it shows up when
    you open up the desktop folder.) I then *mounted* that image on this
    machine by double-clicking on it -- my first surprise was that actually
    worked! CCC was perfectly happy using that as the target of a clone
    (only one small folder as a test) and sure enough when I went to the
    other machine and mounted the image there the folder and file inside it
    had indeed been transferred -- correct dates and all. Now if I were to
    completely clone one system to such a disk image on the other I'm
    pretty sure the resulting image wouldn't be bootable -- but I'll bet it
    could be used to make a partition that would be.

    OK, here's the 64$ question -- does psync work under Tiger? Its
    website and CCC's website only talk about Panther.

    Ted Lee
    Minnetonka, MN

    Ted Lee, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Ted Lee

    Marc Heusser Guest

    yes - works over here. (10.4.4)

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Feb 4, 2006

  3. Ted Lee

    Ted Lee Guest

    Thanks for reporting that. It's the sort of thing I was a little
    leery of testing on my own without knowing a lot more about how all the
    moving parts fit together than I do! (I read the man pages for rsync,
    for instance, and can just see myself really screwing something up by
    giving the wrong options and parameters.)

    Ted Lee
    Minnetonka, MN

    Ted Lee, Feb 4, 2006