    PCI slot and a half-length PCIx1 slot. Please note that it's half-length,
    not low profile that I'm looking for. Thanks for any suggestions. I don't do
    any gaming, so AGP or PCIx16 doesn't interest me.

    darkrats, Sep 11, 2007

  2. darkrats

    Augustus Guest

    http://www.directron.com/lowprofile.html

    That would be half-height, not half length. This thing has a PCI-X 1.0 slot
    and a PCI slot? Or a PCI-Express slot and a PCI slot?

    Augustus, Sep 11, 2007

  3. darkrats

    darkrats Guest

    Thanks for the link. I'll check out the products later today.

    The computer I'm thinking about is the Lenovo M55p 8808. My understanding is
    that it has two open slots (on a riser card), both of which are full height,
    but only half length. One is a PCIx1 slot, the other a PCI slot. Although
    it's possible I'm reading the specs wrong.

    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Lenovo_ThinkCentre_M55p_8808_Core_2_Duo_E6600_2_4_GHz__6625798

    darkrats, Sep 11, 2007
  4. darkrats

    Augustus Guest

    Half length PCI and PCI Express cards are what most people call normal PCI
    cards. Full length cards are really long...12 inches. Your box can use just
    about any card out there. It does NOT need 1/2 height cards. What are you
    needs for the card? Productivity or gaming?

    Augustus, Sep 11, 2007
  5. darkrats

    darkrats Guest

    That's really good to know. I always thought that half length meant half the
    length of a normal card. I'm going to use the computer most for
    productivity, and maybe a little movie watching on the side. I would like to
    shift the job of video processing from the on-board Intel GMA 3000 to a
    dedicated card. I'm also wondering what the PCIx1 slot can be used for. I
    don't see a lot of devices out there for that kind of slot. Any
    recommendations for video cards, for either slot, whichever works best,
    would be appreciated.

    darkrats, Sep 11, 2007
  6. darkrats

    Augustus Guest

    I would simply get a PCI video card like a Diamond X1550 Pro 256Mb 128bit
    card PCI or a 6200 128bit 256Mb card. These have some ability for moderate
    3D ever want it. Around the $90-100 range. For just simple productivity or
    video, even a cheapie 5200, 5500 or 9250 series PCI card is fine. Avoid the
    64 bit versions...

    Augustus, Sep 12, 2007
  7. darkrats

    Paul Guest

    This is the smallest one I could find yesterday. It is both short and
    low profile, but it uses an adapter cable to provide a total of two
    VGA connectors. It is unclear whether there is a cable available that
    delivers DVI or not. Interface is PCI.

    JATON VIDEO-338PCI-LP GeForce 6200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Low Profile $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139013

    There are PCI Express x1 cards, but I think all the practical ones,
    are longer than the above card.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 12, 2007
  8. darkrats

    darkrats Guest

    Thanks, again, for answering my questions. The information was very helpful.

    darkrats, Sep 12, 2007