    with hood.
    What ideas do others have to protect your laptop in rainy weather
    (besides just the backpack itself).

    techman41973, Dec 6, 2008

  2. techman41973

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In
    Since you like the backpack but your current one leaks, maybe you just
    need a better backpack.

    Bert Hyman, Dec 6, 2008

  3. techman41973

    BigJim Guest

    how about a giant condom....of course if there is a hole in it you could
    have
    problems in about 9 months.

    BigJim, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Of course, it's not the knapsack's fault. They aren't intended to
    be waterproof, they are intended to be water resistant. YOu aren't
    likely to find one where there are flaps over the zippers to make
    sure rain can't get in, or made of material like rubber that won't
    let rain in.

    I wouldn't trust plastic bags since they can be ripped so easily,
    by the laptop or something else in the knapsack, and plus, you really
    can't seal them. But realistically, everyone knows that you do have
    have some extra layer for things that you don't want getting wet in
    your knapsack.

    When I took my Radio Shack Model 100 out decades ago, I had a plastic
    "envelope" with a foldover top and velcro to seal it shut. I got it
    at a hiking store, and I've carried a smaller one around for decades with
    odds and ends and the things inside have never gotten wet. It's made
    of plastic, so rain can't get in, and it's fused together rather than
    sewn like the knapsack, so the seams don't let water in. The fold
    at the top rather than a zipper ensures that rain can't get in that
    way either.

    I haven't seen them in a long time, but of course a bigger problem now
    is that most laptops now are too big for the one I had, and I don't
    recall a bigger size. But that might be the place to look. Since
    knapsacks do let water in, hikers want this sort of thing to make
    sure their rice or whatever doesn't get wet. Of course, my Aspire
    One would fit right into that bag, and I ought to look for a new
    one for the Aspire.

    I've seen in the flyers neoprene "sleeves" for knapsacks. That
    would seem to be the solution, though how they are put together and
    how you seal them would be key factors. I'm assuming since laptops
    are hot now, there likely is a range of such sleeves, from really
    cheap and not so waterproof, to something that will keep the laptop
    dry while sitting in water. They also protect the laptop from scratches,
    and provide some padding, which for a lot of uses is all that's needed
    if you're carrying it in another bag.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Dec 7, 2008
  5. On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 19:01:57 -0500, Michael Black wrote
    Your best bet would probably be a dry bag. Try SealLine
    <http://www.seallinegear.com>. Made for protecting things from getting
    wet during outdoor activities like kayaking.

    -- Sarpedon Andrejs

    Sarpedon Andrejs, Dec 7, 2008
  6. techman41973

    Bigguy Guest

    Use a rucksak cover?

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HIGH-VISIBILI...14&_trkparms=72:1298|66:2|65:12|39:2|240:1318

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Small-Waterpr...14&_trkparms=72:1298|66:2|65:12|39:2|240:1318

    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product73.asp

    etc...

    Guy

    Bigguy, Dec 7, 2008
  7. Thomas Wendell, Dec 8, 2008
  8. techman41973

    BillW50 Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote on Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:14:50 -0500:
    Hard to use an umbrella when your hands are full. That is why I don't
    care much for them. Plus they don't work well on my motorcycle. ;)

    BillW50, Dec 10, 2008