Case fan cooling of CPUs - which motherboards? which cases?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by J Higbee, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. J Higbee

    J Higbee Guest

    I have been purchasing AMD CPUs for many years now. However I may have
    to switch to Intel because of the following:

    On Pentium type motherboards (such as Dell & some IBM), a case fan
    blows onto a large heat sink which is attached to the CPU.

    I know of no AMD motherboards which support this or cases set up to do
    this. If you know of any let me know.

    So anyway here are my questions:

    1. What Pentium motherboards are designed to allow a large heat sink
    over the CPU which is designed to have a case fan cool it?

    2. Are there cases specifically designed for such motherboards which
    have a properly placed fan?

    3. Who would supply the plastic tube thing which diverts the air from
    the case fan onto the CPU heat sink? The motherboard manufacturer? The
    case manufacturer? A third party?

    I've found that case fan cooled systems (such as the Dell towers &
    desktops) are much quieter than systems which require a fan mounted
    directly over the CPU heat sink.

    I know there are water cooling systems for AMD, but I wonder if it
    would in the long run be cheaper to simply go with a Pentium and a
    case fan CPU cooling solution?

    I could just buy a Dell I suppose since it has such a setup and is
    much quieter than heat sink mounted fan solutions, but I prefer to
    build my own systems. So I guess I have to switch to Intel, even
    though I would prefer not to. But I will if it means getting less
    noise without having to pay a lot of money (for water cooling).

    J Higbee, Jun 23, 2004

  2. J Higbee

    Robert Myers Guest

    J Higbee wrote:

    There is no reason for you to put up with arbitrary choices made by
    others when there are so many options for engineering your own solution.

    There is also no point in trying to create a new summary when so much
    has that has already been written is easily available:

    www.google.com search: cpu "ducted fan"

    groups.google.com searh: "ducted fan" group:*comp*

    RM

    Robert Myers, Jun 23, 2004

  3. J Higbee

    Conor Guest

    Every single Shuttle XPC case. Also you can achieve the same with a
    Zallman Flower HSF.

    Conor, Jun 23, 2004
  4. What I don't understand here is why you need to buy an Intel product to get
    this. Even AXP's can support fairly large heat sinks using all three clips
    on the CPU socket and the A64 heat sink mount is at least as good as the
    P4's. As for the duct fan you're talking about, this is not an ATX standard
    for any platform but it can be add fairly easily to a system powered by
    either chip.

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Jun 23, 2004