    Is there a way to unpack the tar-file w/o losing any files? If not, is
    there a way to examine *and* change filenames in advance before
    unpacking?

    RPS, Apr 24, 2004

  2. RPS

    G.T. Guest

    If you have a spare partition to sacrifice you can format it as UFS or you
    can now with Panther turn on case-sensitivity in HFS for that volume.

    Greg

    G.T., Apr 24, 2004

  3. RPS

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Or create a disk image file with Disk Utility and format it as the Unix
    File System.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Support the 2004 Million Mom March on Washington DC
    Mother's Day, May 9, 2004
    visit <http://www.mmm2004.org/>

    Tom Stiller, Apr 24, 2004
  4. RPS

    Greg Shenaut Guest

    That's very interesting. Does it break anything to enable case sensitivity
    by default, even on the root volume?

    Oh, and how do you do this? Does it have to be during the initial fs init?

    Greg Shenaut

    Greg Shenaut, Apr 24, 2004
  5. RPS

    G.T. Guest

    Yes, much more convenient.

    Greg

    G.T., Apr 25, 2004
  6. RPS

    G.T. Guest

    Yep:

    cd /System/Library/CoreServices/
    sudo cp SystemVersion.plist ServerVersion.plist

    Now when you run "diskutil eraseDisk" you'll see there is a "Case-sensitive
    HFS+" option.

    Greg

    G.T., Apr 25, 2004
  7. RPS

    Bob Harris Guest

    Enter the following search string into Google

    panther case sensitive hfs

    and you will get lots of links, including ones that detail the risks
    that you might encounter.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Apr 25, 2004
  8. RPS

    fishfry Guest

    You can create a ufs partition and avoid the problem. The question is,
    how much work is this for you? If you only have one disk drive you'll
    have to back it up and re-partition it. If you have an external lying
    around, that's easiest.

    fishfry, Apr 25, 2004
  9. RPS

    fishfry Guest

    You can do that? What's the magic incantation?

    fishfry, Apr 25, 2004
  10. RPS

    G.T. Guest

    Yep (if my previous post didn't show up your server):

    cd /System/Library/CoreServices/
    sudo cp SystemVersion.plist ServerVersion.plist

    Now when you run "diskutil eraseDisk" you'll see there is a "Case-sensitive
    HFS+" option.

    I may do one partition up that way, probably the one I have formatted as UFS.

    Greg

    G.T., Apr 25, 2004
  11. RPS

    Noses Guest

    Yes. A lot of applications.

    I'm running a system on UFS (and another one on case sensitive HFS+) just
    for fun... Even Apple's programs don't really deal to well with it.
    Yes. Just use newfs to create an UFS or newfs_hfs -s for a case senstive
    HFS+.

    Noses.

    Noses, Apr 25, 2004
  12. RPS

    Noses Guest

    touch will do nicely.
    If you forget removing the ServerVersion.plist you'll have a lot of fun with
    Software Update.

    Noses.

    Noses, Apr 25, 2004
  13. RPS

    G.T. Guest

    Thanks, that was definitely an important omission on my part. Thanks for
    the newfs switch in your other post, too, I'd forgotten about it.

    Greg

    G.T., Apr 25, 2004