Cases for embedded appliances

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Buddy Smith, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Buddy Smith

    Buddy Smith Guest

    Hi,

    I'm working on a project which needs to be made into an appliance-like
    device.

    The software is mostly done, so we're ready to move over to testing it on
    an embedded board of some sort. The board will be running linux.

    I'm trying to find out the best way to get our code onto a piece of
    hardware that we can sell in small volumes. We would a small appliance
    sized device (non-rackmountable. something around the size of a small
    router, or a tivo, something like that)

    Our needs:
    CPU - at least 300MHz, maybe more
    RAM - not sure. 64MB minimum (maybe less, but we'll see)
    Network - at least one 10/100 interface, maybe 2
    Video - none.
    Disk - we need 120GB or more of storage

    I would also like a small flash disk for storing the OS, etc.

    Ideally, i would get boxes in the mail with these specs, load my code,
    stick a logo on them, and mail them out.

    So, who should I talk to?

    I'm looking to get prototypes for testing within the next week or two.

    Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    --buddy

    Buddy Smith, Aug 29, 2003

  2. The cheapest and most energy saving, IMO, are the VIA boards.
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/index/index.jsp
    Have alook at the VIA EPIA M series.
    The 1GHz board has a comparable speed of 500MHz and when running
    Linux, draws less than 10W when mostly idle. When running Win2k,
    the idle consumption is 40W.

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Aug 29, 2003

  3. Buddy Smith

    Jim Stewart Guest

    Are you sure? We measure about 15W running Win98se.

    Jim Stewart, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Hi Buddy,

    I can recommend our new net4801, check it out on http://www.soekris.com

    It might meet your needs, but the CPU is only 266Mhz now and as the
    standard case only take 2.5" drives, the HD is currently limited to 80
    Gbyte.

    But if I have to say it myself, it's a very nice unit and in 6 months
    2.5" drives would probably hit 120 Gbyte....

    Regards,

    Soren Kristensen

    Soren Kristensen, Sep 4, 2003