    I'm using WinXPpro with a Radeon 9600 Fireblade. No overclock or any other
    progs that may be interfering.

    TIA

    Nick Dalton, May 18, 2004

  2. Monitor about to die ?? power saving prob ?

    Anyone else.

    Did you do a total uninstall, reboot then install the new drivers, not
    just over the top ?

    HELLO NURSE :)

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, May 18, 2004

  3. Nick Dalton

    Philburg2 Guest

    I had something similar when I installed 4.5, the screen went black and out
    of sync, but returned eventually. God I hate these drivers... Anyways, when
    does it happen? Sometimes my monitor will unsync if the PC is under stress
    and running a little slow in games.

    Philburg2, May 18, 2004
  4. Nick Dalton

    NT Canuck Guest

    Sounds like the Catalyst is doing some GPU (graphics processing unit)
    auto-recovery...sort of like when the video card firmware "trips" when
    communicating with the video card hardware. Setting in ati panel.

    For myself...seemed to happen a few times with my 9500pro
    so I went back to using plain-jane cat3.7 without any issues.

    I think the cat4.5 is mostly geared to support the x800 line,
    so how/if that causes any problems with earlier cards is mystery.

    NT Canuck, May 18, 2004
  5. Nick Dalton

    John Hall Guest

    After you install the drivers and reboot, the screen will go black for a
    moment while the new drivers test the hardware, and then the drivers will
    initialize. I'm wondering if somehow the script for the test got corrupted
    and it keeps trying to do it over and over. I would try removing the
    drivers completely and then reinstall them.

    JK

    John Hall, May 18, 2004
  6. Nick Dalton

    Nick Dalton Guest

    It happens randomly, the monitor is only a year or so old so thats out.
    Your right it is like the card is doing a recover job. Thinking about it it
    does happen when I am playing or some random time after a heavy graphics
    game. I'll try the clean reinstall, I was lazy and installed over the top.

    Thanks for the suggestions

    8))

    Nick Dalton, May 19, 2004
  7. Nick Dalton