Catalyst 3.9 frustration - back to 3.7 :o(

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Bill L, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Bill L

    Bill L Guest

    Hi all

    Just tried the Cat. 3.9's and had the same problem as with Cat 3.8 namely
    appallingly slow WinXP performance. I can't even be bothered to try 3D
    performance as the PC is, basically, unusable.

    Tried turning off the VPU recovery option (I've seen suggestions that this
    worked with Cat. 3.8) and no difference.

    The only thing I may need to do is remove the 3.7's before installing 3.9
    but installing new Cat's over the old drivers has never caused any problems
    before.

    Am I doomed to remain with Cat 3.7 drivers from now on (i.e. have the ATI
    driver put something permanent in the new drivers which doesn't like my
    configuration) or has anyone got any suggestions?

    TIA

    Bill

    Sys spec/config
    AMD XP1700+ TB(B) @ 2.1 GHz (10.5 x 200 1.55v)
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro (Using on-board audio & NIC)
    OCZ 512 MB DIMM PC3200
    Sapphire 9700 (non-pro) (128MB)

    GlobalWin 802 ATX Midi Case
    Antec TruePower 330 Watt PSU

    Primary IDE Channel
    1 x 120 GB Maxtor ATA133 (Master)
    1 x 40 GB IBM ATA66 (slave)

    Secondary IDE Channel
    Liteon 40x12x48x CDRW (Master)
    Liteon 16x DVD (Slave)

    OtherHW
    HP 940C USB Printer
    Cannon LiDE30 USB Scanner
    Belkin 7 Port USB HUB
    Hauppauge WinTV PCI

    OS: WinXP Pro SP1

    Bill L, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Bill L

    leon Guest

    I have no problem with cat 3.9 and winxp but i uninstall drivers and control
    panel and also use driver cleaner to remove remnants.
    link below.
    http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

    leon, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Bill L

    James Riske Guest

    Never ever *ever* install new cats without uninstalling the old ones
    first, also use the driver cleaner.

    http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

    James Riske, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Bill L

    Surnom Guest

    Same here, no problems, even gained a few points in benches.

    Surnom, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Bill L

    Bob Cronin Guest

    I never ever uninstall the old ones and never ever had a problem, but of
    course I am running with stuff thats about as true-blue Intel/MS as you
    can get. I learned my lesson years back when I tried going rogue and
    spent my life with no end of minor incompatabilities, enough to drive
    you crazy. If you stay with pure Intel and MS stuff, things work as well
    as thay're going to (because everyone tests their stuff in that
    environment first, I suspect). Fwiw ...

    Bob Cronin, Nov 7, 2003
  6. Bill L

    Roj Guest

    I'd say you shot yourself in the foot right there.

    I uninstall the Display Driver, ATI Control Panel and ATI Software via
    Windows Control Panel / Add Remove Programs (no reboots between each
    uninstall) and then reboot after the last one. When I come up again,
    I cancel the hardware wizard and install the new drivers.

    Smooth as glass and no performance hit.

    ATI recommends uninstalling the old drivers first - I tend to go with
    the vendor's recommendation because they generally know what they're
    talking about. ;)

    Roj, Nov 7, 2003
  7. Bill L

    Roj Guest

    ....which buys you Sweet Tweet.
    There are seven machines in my house. Five are AMD. Of the other two
    intel-based machines (both P3s), neither use the slow crap intel sells
    for motherboards - they're Asus. The Intel machines were also
    inherited - intel's price / performance ratio mandated a long time ago
    that I wouldn't be wasting my money on them.
    That may have been true once upon a time years ago - it has long since
    ceased to be that way in the industry. For example, Dave Cutler who
    is in charge of OS dev at MS is decidedly pro AMD which isn't
    surprising considering his lineage (DEC).

    Roj, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Bill L

    Todd Howard Guest

    Try turning your overclock back down ......
    TH

    Todd Howard, Nov 7, 2003
  9. Bill L

    Bill L Guest

    Some good advice there (apart from the Intel/MS fool). I'll uninstall the
    ATI 3.7 drivers completely and let people know how I get on.

    But if I need to lower the overclock so that it impacts on performance I'll
    stick with the 3.7's (can't afford a new, faster CPU at the mo.).

    Cheers

    Bill

    Bill L, Nov 8, 2003
  10. Bill L

    Bill L Guest

    Yes a complete clean out of Cat 3.7 meant a much better experience and
    everything seems fine (only tried the Call of Duty demo so far though).

    Bill

    Bill L, Nov 8, 2003