Catalyst 4.5 and 4.6 cause windows problems and directx disabled!

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Dr. Richard Cranium, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. i went back to the 4.5's two days ago.

    ** No Fate **

    cheers,
    dracman
    Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1pictures.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1midaspics.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/medipak.htm

    **savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm

    http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

    ** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm

    ** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

    ** GTA III vice City Character MOD
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

    .... so much of me...

    You are absolutely right, but we aren't talking about what is 'nice', we are
    talking about 'morality'. A hugely different concept. :)

    Dr. Richard Cranium, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Dr. Richard Cranium

    J?j? Guest

    Hi,

    I've installed the Catalyst 4.6 and now my video card is slow!
    dxdiag says any directx features are disabled!

    My system:
    Ati all in wonder 8500 DV
    P4 2ghz

    older drivers have no problems.

    any idea?

    Please reply by email (

    J?j?, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Dr. Richard Cranium

    Diskhead Guest

    Have Smartgart retest all.

    Diskhead, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Dr. Richard Cranium

    Kill Bill Guest

    Enable them?

    Kill Bill, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Dr. Richard Cranium

    [neil] Guest

    You can't take the easy way out and simply install the newer drivers over
    your existing ones.

    You MUST uninstall your current drivers (Add/Remove programs, look for the
    drivers uninstall then software uninstall utilities), reboot, cancel windows
    installing generic drivers, then start your new drivers install.

    After a reboot, it will be hunky-dory.

    HTH,

    Neil

    [neil], Jun 15, 2004
  6. Dr. Richard Cranium

    Diskhead Guest

    I just install over the top when using Omega drivers and never had a
    problem. On Win98SE I remember my Directx acceleration was disabled
    and having SmartGart retest caused it to enable again.

    Diskhead, Jun 15, 2004
  7. It's always *best* to uninstall the old drivers first but but why should one
    have to. Is it really that difficult to create a driver package (or any
    application) that you can install over a previous setup maybe by
    uninstalling old files first?

    BillL

    Bill Larcombe, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Interesting. I never uninstall the old drivers. I always just install the
    new ones over the old ones. Never had a problem. I've been doing this for
    about two years now

    Daniel Czajko, Jun 15, 2004
  9. Dr. Richard Cranium

    [neil] Guest

    I agree you shouldn't *have* to uninstall first, and sometimes maybe you can
    get away with it... but on the couple of times I've thought "sod it, I'll
    install over the top", I've had no DX acceleration in windows and had to
    uninstall, reboot, install, reboot and it's then been ok.

    Neil

    [neil], Jun 16, 2004
  10. Dr. Richard Cranium

    Diskhead Guest

    That's one of the reasons I prefer to use Omega drivers, he has
    designed the package so you don't need to uninstall the old drivers.

    Diskhead, Jun 16, 2004
  11. Dr. Richard Cranium

    borolad Guest

    The ' gart ' in the Omegas tests this fix then ' fixes ' this test.
    Maybe the ' gart ' in the ATi set does the same I've no idea - I don't
    use em!

    BoroLad

    borolad, Jun 16, 2004