    ATI should add a checkbox on the display properties - or on the
    troubleshooting button from that page - that forces recognition of the
    display. That would let the user override the default buggy behavior.

    Will, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Will

    First of One Guest

    You call this a bug; some idiot at Microsoft WHQL-testing calls it a safety
    feature. It prevents the ignorant user from using a non-supported res or an
    excessive refresh rate, which can damage the monitor.
    Normally you overcome this misfeature by installing the custom INF file that
    comes with your monitor. INF files can be found either on the manufacturer's
    web site or a repository like http://www.monitor-drivers.com/ . Otherwise,
    google for it.
    Have you tried the utility Powerstrip?

    First of One, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Will

    Will Guest

    I did try a few INF variants with no luck. I will try the site you
    reference as well, but at this point I am afraid to touch the system because
    I got it to work through invoking a set of bugs that had desirable side
    effects, and I doubt I could duplicate the sequence if you paid me. :)

    Can you send the URL?

    Thanks for the references.

    Will, Aug 16, 2005