Catalyst 9.12 and Star Wars Battlefront II ? HD5770 problems ? Notworth the price ?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Peter Dassow, Dec 23, 2009.

  1. Peter Dassow

    Peter Dassow Guest

    It seems to be a big problem, playing Star Wars Battlefront II (patched
    to official v1.10) means pain with ATI cards !
    I recently changed my graphics card from a nVidia 9800GT to a Sapphire
    HD5770 (Vapor-X). That was really disappointing, because I got only a
    boost from 12000 to 14000 points at 3DMark 2006, compared to the old
    9800GT. But I was really surprised when starting Battlefront II - now
    it's slow, and I have a really high CPU load on *all* cores on my Intel
    Q6700 (and that's really enough for that game at 1440x900 pixels).

    It seems to be related with that piece of shit named Catalyst software,
    but I'm not 100% sure. I can be related in general with ATI cards, too.
    I read already some news entries that some guys recommended to set the
    cpu affinity of the game to only one core, but then I got not 80% load,
    I got 100% load and it's definitely not playable anymore.

    At the moment I am sure the HD5770 is not worth the price, because also
    all other games are not running faster than before.
    The card itself is silent and keeps a low temperature.
    No, I do not have any issue with my power supply.
    I run the same system I have used before with my nVidia 9800GT card, and
    it seems that this just points out the maturity of the card or the
    drivers for that card.
    Also, I have multi monitor issues, I got "flicker" if I change the gpu
    clock with ATI overdrive to just 1 MHz above the (fixed) bios gpu clock
    speed. I already checked that this is an issue with the power saving in
    2D mode. If you manage to set the GPU speed with AMD GPU Clock Tool, it
    works without "flicker", but there is no power saving in 2D anymore then.

    If anybody has an explanation for this disaster, please let me know.

    Peter

    Peter Dassow, Dec 23, 2009

  2. Try going back to 9.11 and even 9.10 first. 9.12 is intended for latest
    games.
    The card is about DirectX 11. Complain after you tried games like Dirt 2. :)

    --
    @[email protected] Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.2

    Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps), Dec 23, 2009

  3. Peter Dassow

    KCB Guest

    Did you uninstall all the Nvidia software before you installed the ATI
    stuff? As far as not being worth the price, it all depends on what you paid
    for it.

    KCB, Dec 23, 2009
  4. Peter Dassow

    Peter Dassow Guest

    Yes, I uninstalled the nVidia drivers of course before changing the
    card. I paid about $210 for it (it's not available at most of the shops,
    so that's also the reason for the high price).

    Peter

    Peter Dassow, Dec 25, 2009