CCMOS jumper

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Guest, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

    | Is the positive contact the metal strip that is connected at its
    | end to the mobo on one side of the battery holder, runs
    | transversely along one side of the battery as it stands up in
    | its holder and curls up at the end ? In that case the battery
    | needs to go so that the + side is against the metal contact
    | and the curl at the end is not touching the negative button
    | part, and the purpose of the curl at the end is simply to better
    | hold the battery in place.

    While I don't have the patient on the table before me, it sounds like you're
    getting there.

    When the battery holder is flat on the surface of the motherboard, the +
    side of the battery faces up and the little metal tab coming around from the
    side of the holder makes positive contact, completing the circuit.

    I've not worked with one of those ubiquitous stands on it's side battery
    holders .. so I really can't comment on the design and which orientation the
    + side of the battery should relate. If I were to guess, the + terminal
    would be situated to the tab which serves two purposes (as when mounted flat
    on the board) .. to hold the battery into place and make positive contact
    with the + terminal.

    I have a suggestion at this point .. given that the "traffic" in this group
    has somewhat dwindled over time...

    Pay a visit to Abit USA's web-based forum. Register yourself an account and
    post the question on the Socket "A" page.

    Maybe a search of the forum will yield the answer to your precise conundrum
    without even having to post.

    http://forum.abit-usa.com

    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    That sounds like it should work.
    I had already done that. Someone on Abit's forum also replied that he
    thought the + side should be in contact with the metal strip, but was
    not sure and told me to privately e-mail a "sysop" for the forum who has
    an AT7 and would know exactly how it was supposed to work. I did that
    but never received an answer from this other person.

    I will position it as you suggest above, making sure the metal tab does
    not touch the negative button part of the battery while still holding
    the battery in place. If it still loses CMOS settings I will assume that
    the metal tab has become too loose to consistently make contact with the
    + side and look for some way to tighten it up.
    I will try a further search also.

    Thanks for your help.

    Guest, Dec 31, 2005

  3. Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

    <snip>

    | I will position it as you suggest above, making sure the metal tab
    | does not touch the negative button part of the battery while still
    | holding the battery in place. If it still loses CMOS settings I will
    | assume that the metal tab has become too loose to consistently
    | make contact with the + side and look for some way to tighten it
    | up.

    | I will try a further search also.
    |
    | Thanks for your help.

    Be certain to meter your battery. As I mentioned earlier .. a battery
    that's been shorted will very quickly discharge.

    And .. happy to step in where I'm able.

    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Guest

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Dec 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yes, this was pointed out to me previously. My battery holder does not
    look like any of those presented in the three photographs. It is
    standing up from the mobo, like the 3rd picture, rather than being flat
    on the mobo, but it does not have the two metal tabs holding it in place
    as in the third picture but rather a single transverse one that curls up
    a little at the end.

    Guest, Dec 31, 2005