CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Ed Light, May 24, 2008.

  1. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, May 24, 2008

  2. Ed Light

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
    Not that I know of Ed but I'd be very interested if you find one. It would
    save risking OS corruption when overclocking. If it needs to be able to
    write then it could be USB stick based I guess.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 26, 2008

  3. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    With a partition and boot manager you can make a little system partition
    to boot from that can be sacrificed, and restored from an image. I use
    bootitng. But I'm planning to overclock someone's pc on a visit out of
    town and it would be nice not to have to mess with the partitions.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, May 26, 2008
  4. Ed Light

    Boo Guest

    I don't know of any pre-existing .iso files to do that job but you could
    customise BartPE <http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/> or "Ultimate Boot CD for
    Windows" <http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm> to have Prime95 included.

    Note: the BartPE website seems to be down atm.

    Hth,

    Boo, May 26, 2008
  5. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, May 27, 2008
  6. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    It works. It's a very big, long project to make the CD. It has both
    memtest and Prime95. memtest is available when the CD first boots.
    ---

    Ed Light, May 27, 2008
  7. Ed Light

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
    I basically do the same thing with my own computer. I have a 5 GB partition
    for Windows (XP Pro) that I back up regularly (using Acronis True Image) and
    always back up before doing any major overclocking. It only takes a minute
    or two to back up, a bit longer to restore from backup. This has the dual
    advantages of having the backup file fit on a DVD writable and also Windows
    doesn't make a big mess scattering files all over a large partition. 5 GB is
    quick and easy to defrag.

    However, it'd be nice to have a way to do a similar thing on someone else's
    computer without having to mess with their partition set up.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 28, 2008
  8. Ed Light

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "User" typed:
    Thanks. I've bookmarked that for downloading at a time whan my intarweb
    connection is behaving. Looks interesting.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 28, 2008
  9. Ed Light

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
    Thanks for that Ed. I believe that I actually have Ultimate Boot CD burnt
    and stashed away somewhere (never used it, LOL). I'll have to dig it out and
    have a go.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 28, 2008
  10. Ed Light

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
    Heh! So I had a tool that will do it here the whole time! I have ver 4.1.1
    (I think, it's written on the disk which is in another machine right now).

    It's just a shame there's no CPU temp monitoring at the same time. Still,
    that's asking a bit much from a bootable CD, maybe a USB solution would
    hadle that.

    Oh, it didn't even complete one test. (I know the machine's stable.) It came
    up with "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7." after about 60 seconds. :-(

    Ok, LOL, it's still running, the second test/line just appeared on screen.
    (It's an old Athlon XP T'bredB currently running at 1.8GHz. It'll do 2.2
    easy but there's no need for it in it's current use.) I guess the version of
    Prime must just have a bit of extra reporting built-in.

    ~misfit~, May 28, 2008
  11. Ed Light

    Fishface Guest

    Maybe they'll update it?

    I read that a lot of the 680i boards do not support the 45nM parts after all.
    It's in the board design and not the chipset, I think. Does yours?

    Fishface, May 28, 2008
  12. Ed Light

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Phil Weldon" typed:
    That must be frustrating. I'm fairly happy with the temp monitoring apps I'm
    using with my P35 mobo after trying everything I could find I'm using
    CoreTemp and SpeedFan with Hard Disk Sentinel taking care of the four HDDs.
    Indeed, those were the days. I still have MBM5 installed for the CPU usage
    display in the systray, it's pretty much useless for anything else..
    I was intending to get an E8400 at some stage but my E4500 is ticking along
    nicely at 3.2 GHz/400Mhz FSB (It'll run stable at 413MHz/3.3GHz but I
    decided to round it down, I'm not taxing it in the slightest as it is). As
    it's more than adequate for everything I'm throwing at it I've decided
    there's not much point (other than bragging rights) in me getting an E4500.
    At least not in the foreseeable future.
    Now that would be good indeed. A USB based system perhaps.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 28, 2008
  13. Ed Light

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Ed Medlin, May 28, 2008
  14. Ed Light

    Ed Medlin Guest

    That is pretty much my feelings too. It wasn't too long ago that I passed
    the E6600 and 680i on to my son and I am quite satisfied with this
    Q6600/Striker combo for another 8-10 months. Maybe another Spring project
    will be in order for 2009?...........:). Unless something really
    ground-breaking happens in the video card arena I can split up these 8800GTX
    cards or use the 8800GT I have still in the box for this system and use the
    SLI'd cards in a new one.....:) The 9xxx series hasn't shown me much,
    certainly not enough to spend the cash. I did upgrade from the E6600 to the
    Q6600 over the last year, but that is pretty minor.........pretty much a
    wash with a little edge to the Quad in RL performance GHz/GHz.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, May 28, 2008
  15. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    The build options had tons of little things you could add that weren't
    on by default. Maybe one of those does it.
    Did it hold on for hours?
    --
    ---

    Ed Light, May 29, 2008
  16. Ed Light

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
    I was reporting on "The Ultimate Boot CD". The version I have was burnt from
    an ISO I downloaded. No options there. :-(
    Yep, ran for three hours before I stopped it. (I'm confident that it's
    stable, I was testing the boot CD rather than the machine. ) :)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 30, 2008
  17. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    Now it's a build-it-at-home thing. During building you get a huge list
    of customizations (can't remember if you have to click a button for
    those). He says make one without altering stuff at first to see if it
    works ok. You can update the security apps during build setup.

    http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

    ---

    Ed Light, May 30, 2008
  18. Ed Light

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
    Wow! It's a whole different ball game now. Good for customisation I guess.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jun 1, 2008