CD Burn Software Recommendation

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Bill Booz, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Bill Booz

    Bill Booz Guest

    I believe that I am really CD writing challenged, as I have problems with my
    burner on Dell Dimension at work, had trouble with Iomega drive with my old
    Dell laptop at home and now I am having trouble with the slimline EXP drive
    (CRWD-2400P Combo Drive) I purchased to use with my Toshiba 3500!! Nero
    Burning CDR/CDRW software came bundled with the drive.

    With this drive I have been able to write to CD-R discs fine, but not to
    CD-RW discs; they just end up taking the scant 50MB file collection (for
    example) and locking me out as though they are CD-R discs! The tech support
    guy at EXP said not to use the Easy CD Creator Lite program I had gotten
    with another drive with the new faster drive, but to be sure and use the
    bundled Nero software. Didn't see why it mattered, as I assumed the programs
    were CD drive-independent. I am actually considering purchasing the
    commercial version of Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator 6, as I found it's Lite
    version much easier to use than the Nero Burning software.

    I am wondering if folks in this newsgroup have any recommendations RE the
    Roxio software?

    Bill Booz
    The InfoTor Group

    Bill Booz, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Bill Booz

    John Guest

    I've never cared for the Adaptec / Roxio software personally -
    whenever I ended up with coasters, it was that software I used...

    I've been using Nero happily for a couple years. Only thing I use
    different is Prassi DVD since I also burn DVD's. But for CD's, I've
    never had a bad burn with Nero. Most of my associates ended up making
    the same choice. But like with many things, it's a matter of personal
    preference. I also know people who love Roxio and wouldn't give it up
    whether or not they get coasters...

    John

    John, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Bill Booz

    Peter Rysavy Guest

    Personally, I've never had a coaster with Roxio, dating abck to 4.x.
    Granted, it's quickly becoming bloated and a tad slower than it should be.
    But the interface, IMHO, is a simple one for new users and the full, retail
    version does add some nice features, albeit at a price. All that said, Nero
    is very nice too, also highly recommended, although I think it aims slightly
    more toward the experienced user.

    Peter Rysavy, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Bill Booz

    Peter Rysavy Guest

    Very odd. I mean, it's possible that Nero has better or more stable support
    for that particular drive, could be. For example Roxio 5 was initially
    problematic with some CDRW drives we have here. Then they released up update
    with better driver support, and problems went away. Could be that sort of
    thing.

    Peter Rysavy, Jul 10, 2003