    Don Guest

    I upgraded to Roxio Easy Creator 10 and now it won't recognize a blank
    disk, I know the disks are blank.

    Don, Dec 31, 2007

  2. Don

    RnR Guest

    Don, this doesn't sound like a hardware problem. It sounds to me
    like a setup problem. Check the settings of this software or maybe
    reinstall the software. If I recall many years ago, some cd's didn't
    work with certain mfg cd drives but I thought that problem went away
    but who knows????

    RnR, Dec 31, 2007

  3. Don

    Tony Harding Guest

    Have you tried a different brand of blank media? How about CD vs DVD?

    Tony Harding, Dec 31, 2007
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    I have tried both with the same problem.

    Don, Dec 31, 2007
  5. Don

    Don Guest

    I had Roxio previously, this was just an upgrade.

    Don, Dec 31, 2007
  6. Don

    Larry Guest

    This may sound nuts, but have you tried putting a cd or dvd in and it
    does no see it then open the tray and giving the disk a quarter turn then
    close tray?. Sometimes i have to do this with my cd writer.
    Larry

    Larry, Jan 1, 2008
  7. My first action at this point would be to delete the drive in the Device
    Manager. Then re-boot and let the drive be discovered.

    --

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold (MVP), Jan 1, 2008
  8. Don

    RnR Guest

    If it were me, after trying my first post, I'd reboot and then if that
    doesn't work, I'd check the device manager to see if the drive is
    still recognized. If not, then I'd do what Hank suggested and if it
    is then my gut feeling is that it's either the brand cd is
    incompatible with the drive (assuming you didn't have the same brand
    cd working before in this drive; if you did then this will not apply)
    or some obscure setting changed either by you or the installation.
    The most drastic measure to me, is to install a different drive or try
    another brand cd. Beyond all this, I'm blank for the moment.

    RnR, Jan 1, 2008
  9. Don

    RnR Guest

    Just to add to "drastic" measures above would be to ditch Roxio and
    install another software. My gut feeling is the drastic measures
    aren't necessary tho.

    RnR, Jan 1, 2008
  10. Don

    olfart Guest

    or roll Roxio back to the verson that worked

    olfart, Jan 1, 2008
  11. Don

    RnR Guest

    I was thinking that too but figured he had a reason (???) for
    upgrading versions so I didn't bother to mention it but heck as long
    as we are grasping for ideas now, why not try your idea <g>. It did
    work before !! I would probably consider your idea before using my
    drastic measures :( .

    RnR, Jan 1, 2008
  12. Don

    Don Guest

    I tried this with no change. I did discover the drive will recognize
    blank DVD's but not CD's.
    Don

    Don, Jan 1, 2008
  13. Don

    Don Guest

    I did try reinstalling the software as you suggested with no change.
    You said the check the software settings, could you expand on the
    settings to be changed.

    Thanks,

    Don

    Don, Jan 1, 2008
  14. Don

    RnR Guest

    Don, I don't use Roxio so I can't help you there but usually there are
    preferences or options to mess with. It may be that your settings
    are correct but I'm not sure. Any chance of downgrading back to the
    old version?

    RnR, Jan 2, 2008
  15. Don

    S.Lewis Guest

    "NERO."

    It needed to be said.

    S.Lewis, Jan 2, 2008
  16. Don

    RnR Guest

    I use Nero most often myself. I didn't suggest it because I didn't
    want Don to have to spend more money but I forgot that Nero has a "try
    before you buy" version that he can at least try and see if it works.
    Then he can decide if it's worth it. Good suggestion Stew, IMO !!

    To Don: if you read this post, we are referring to Nero at
    Nero.com .

    RnR, Jan 2, 2008
  17. Don

    RnR Guest

    Don, just to be safe and to avoid confusion, the URL of Nero is
    Nero.com (that is what I meant the above to mean).

    RnR, Jan 2, 2008
  18. Don

    olfart Guest

    and before you install Nero to try make sure you uninstall Roxio. They don't
    play well together. Have you tried going back to the previous version of
    Roxio that worked???

    olfart, Jan 2, 2008
  19. Don

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    There are a few possibilities. Drive failure seems unlikely, as to
    have that take place at the same time a software upgrade occurred
    would be amazing timing.

    I would try some other burning software first. CD Burner XP is free
    and would work well for a test. As far as I can tell, it works fine
    with other burning software installed. Just don't use both programs at
    once. Nero (which I would *highly* recommend and other posters have
    suggested) has a free trial.

    I got mad at Roxio a good long time ago and haven't used any recent
    version of their software other than Toast for Macintosh.

    If other burning software results in no improvement, then it's time to
    check the discs. See if they work on other drives. If the discs don't
    work on another drive, take them back and get another brand. There may
    have been a bad batch of discs released to the market.

    If the discs seem to work OK, you might want to take down the drive's
    exact model number and see if the manufacturer has a firmware update
    for it. Some drive makers (nearly all of them except Hitachi-LG (HL-DT-
    ST)) issue firmware updates to better handle new disc formulations and
    types.

    (Note that updating firmware can be dangerous if done incorrectly. Be
    sure you get the exact model number. Follow the drive manufacturer's
    directions exactly. Don't update firmware just because a new version
    is available.)

    William

    wm_walsh, Jan 2, 2008
  20. Don

    WaIIy Guest

    It's possible an install of Nero will knock some of Roxio off his
    system.

    WaIIy, Jan 2, 2008