    NECDVD+RWND-2100AD. What is the best and easy software to use for burning
    cd's and dvd's.
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Paul

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Use the software that came with your computer and consult its help file.

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Paul

    Dick Silk Guest

    Big help there, Teddy...

    Paul:
    You use CDRWs or CDRs to backup CD material.
    You use DVDRWs or DVDRs to backup DVD material.
    If you're going to image your drive, you will most likely need 1 or 2
    DVDRWs.
    Differences between Rs and RWs:
    A CDR can be recorded to once, or even continuously (in sessions) until it's
    filled up. Then it cannot be erased / reused. These are VERY INEXPENSIVE /
    cheap and are used most.
    A CDRW can be erased and re-written to many times before the dyes start to
    wear out and data loss occurs.
    NEVER leave a recordable CD or DVD exposed to direct sunlight! (Think of
    vampires bursting into flames...)
    The sunlight will fade the dyes and the disc may become useless a lot faster
    than you imagined.
    A DVDR holds a TON more data than a CDR, and a DVDRW is eraseable /
    re-recordable.
    These are also a lot MORE expensive than a simple CDR.

    There is free burning software available on the net: MusicMatch Jukebox is
    one, Nero Burning is another, and (if I'm not mistaken) even Windows Media
    Player has some burning ability, but it's not as easy as MMJ or NB.
    Also, Dell used to sell Roxio Easy CD Creator with their systems for such
    purposes. You *might* have a copy on your computer, might not, but it
    wouldn't hurt to look.

    Finally, make sure when doing a burn that you copy the image to hard drive
    first (check your software application for this option... it should be in
    there *somewhere*.) Otherwise, you risk "toasting" a CDR: creating a BAD /
    unusable disc. Also, older Dells running windows '98 need to have *about*
    90% resources free BEFORE attempting a burn, or you also run a major risk of
    corruption (toasting the CDR).

    Dick Silk, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Paul

    Tom Scales Guest

    Hey Dick, You left a pretty important thing out, didn't ya bud?

    DVD blanks come as either DVD+R or DVD-R. Same with DVD+RW or DVD-RW.

    If the drive came with your Dell, than it is a + ONLY drive, so you HAVE to
    use + media.

    Tom Scales, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Paul

    Dick Silk Guest

    Thank you, kind sir!
    What, do you think, is the technical difference in these media? I don't
    record DVDs myself, so have never run across that particular issue (until
    now).

    Dick Silk, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Paul

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just different standards. Beta vs. VHS. Some argue for +, some argue
    for -.

    I went the route to install an aftermarket drive that supports both and just
    buy the cheapest blanks.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 25, 2004
  7. Paul

    Ben Myers Guest

    If your computer has Windows XP on it (which it likely does), you can use the CD
    burning software that comes with the operating system. In addition, Dell may
    well have pre-installed an OEM version of a commercial CD/DVD burning package.

    I've used Roxio's, Ahead's, and NTI's CD/DVD burning software. They all work
    pretty much the same for most routine tasks. The important thing is that the
    NEC drive is SUPPORTED by the package you buy, should you choose to buy one.

    All three companies have "Pro" versions of their products to do more than the
    basic tasks. You can also buy more specialized software for burning audio CDs
    and movie DVDs.

    The NEC drive supports write-once CD, rewritable CD, and plus (+) DVD types of
    media. DVDs also come in both write-once and rewritable, and there is a minus
    (-) DVD type of media not supported by your drive.

    Rewritable CD or DVD discs cannot be written and rewritten forever and ever. In
    simpler terms, you never know when you've written to rewritable media for the
    last time until you try to read it back. For that reason, many people favor the
    far less expensive write-once media, treating them as inexpensive throwaways
    when their content is superceded by a newer copy of the data (e.g. data backup).

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 25, 2004
  8. Paul

    Dave Guest

    The NEC 2100A is basically an NEC 2500A with a crippled firmware so it
    only writes to +R media. You can upgrade the firmware to make it a
    2500/2510. http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=23669

    Of course, this 'technically' voids the warranty.

    Dave, Sep 26, 2004