    2-How to physically replace the unit. What screws to remove? Of course, a
    link to a step-by-step how-to with photos would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    Nicolas Verhaeghe, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Nicolas Verhaeghe

    Barbarossa Guest

    Nowadays it's a waste of money to buy just a CD-ROM; I¹m not
    sure if they're even making them anymore. Further, the Installer
    discs for Tiger and Pages come on DVDs now, and I suspect that
    many other things will as well.

    You would be missing a bet by not upgrading when you have to
    take your box apart anyway.

    You can get the latest Pioneer DVR IDE/ATAPI burner for about
    $40 from NewEgg:

    PIONEER BLACK IDE DVD BURNER MODEL DVR-110DBK- OEM

    <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129164&AT
    T=CD+DVD+Burners+RW+Dr&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r>

    Now we're talking latest top of the line here for a DVD burner
    for only $40. I suppose you could pay less for SOMETHING but even
    if you paid half that you'd only save $20 for something that's
    already obsolete. I mean how much were you expecting to spend?
    I¹m not sure there are published photos for this particular
    operation, but you will need a Allen Wrench to loosen up the
    screws holding on the front handles of the B&W, and a Phillips
    screwdriver, and perhaps a small regular screwdriver

    Start by clearing a workspace with good lighting, and prop the
    front of the Mac up with a rolled up towel.

    Open the sidedoor and then remove the set screws on the front
    top and bottom plastic handles. With the handles off, you can
    remove the front coverplate, as the old CD-ROM unit slides out
    the front. You may need to press in some of the little plastic
    tabs with a small regular screwdriver to get them to release.

    Everything else is just a matter of undoing the setscrews and
    the wiring connections. Slide the old unit out, and the new unit
    in, and reconnect. It really helps to have small hands sometimes,
    which I do not. 8^(

    Barbarossa, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Thanks for the info

    Nicolas Verhaeghe, Oct 4, 2005