    an expense program. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    david

    david, Feb 13, 2005

  2. david

    Molly Guest

    Molly, Feb 13, 2005

  3. david

    david Guest

    Thank you Molly for your quick and helpful response.
    Didn't realize there were so many. Picking the right one will be the trick.
    Thanks
    david

    david, Feb 13, 2005
  4. |I am having a problem backing up to my CD/ RW & DVD/RW drives. The program
    | now have "RecordNow", that came with my Dell, will partially do the job,
    but
    | would like a full backup program that will overwrite the existing files on
    | the CD. Brian K. in one of my earlier posts sent me a link to two programs
    | "Second Copy 2000 & Acronis True Image" both very good backup program.
    Here
    | is my problem, both of the backup programs call for a VDF Packet Writing
    | software to be installed on the computer before their programs will work,
    | which I assume RecordNow isn't one. I have looked at Roxio but seems to be
    | an expense program. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.
    | Thanks,
    | david

    If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging one, I
    use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most removable
    media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.

    http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Feb 13, 2005
  5. david

    david Guest

    Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for your quick and helpful response also. Does
    BackUp My PC require me to have a VDF Packet Writing software installed on
    my computer?
    david

    david, Feb 13, 2005
  6. | > If you're interested in trying a backup program instead of an imaging
    one,
    | > use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp. It writes directly to most
    removable
    | > media including multiple DVD/R RW and CD/R RW. A trial is available.
    | >
    | > http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    | > I was just trying to help.
    | > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    | > advice herein.
    | > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    | > Your mileage may vary.
    | > See store for details. :)
    | >
    | > Remove shoes to E-mail.
    | >
    | Thank you HillBillyBuddhist for your quick and helpful response also.
    Does
    | BackUp My PC require me to have a VDF Packet Writing software installed on
    | my computer?
    | david

    No it does not.

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Feb 13, 2005
  7. david

    david Guest

    Thanks again for the quick and helpful reply
    This makes the program ok.
    david

    david, Feb 13, 2005
  8. david

    Brian K Guest

    David, try and avoid UDF packet writing. It's less reliable than the usual
    mastering software.

    Image and backup to your data partition and later use RecordNow to write to
    a CD or DVD as a Data write. Don't write from the imaging program directly
    to CD and don't use RW discs (less reliable), use R discs and throw away the
    out of date backups.

    Brian

    Brian K, Feb 15, 2005
  9. david

    david Guest

    Thank you Brian K for you response. The reason I was asking about the UDF
    packet writing was both of the backup programs you had recommended to me in
    an early post "Acron's True Image & Second Copy 2000 both required one.
    Although the RecordNow will do a data backup, the problem I had was it
    wouldn't copy over the existing files on the CD. I have to erase the CD
    first, but I can live with that. I would still like a program that I can
    use to make a full system backup, RecordNow won't do that. Is there one you
    know of that doesn't require the UDF packet writing?
    Thanks again,
    david

    david, Feb 16, 2005
  10. david

    Brian K Guest

    Hi again David. I use both programs and I don't use packet writing. You
    don't need extra software.

    I suggest avoiding CD-RW discs as they may let you down when you need them
    most. ie they can "forget" data. CD-R discs are so cheap these days and can
    be used as MultiSession so you can keep adding data until they are full.

    I suggest using Acronis TI to image your C:drive to a folder in your Data
    partition. Ask Acronis to split the image into 700 MB chunks so you can burn
    to multiple CD's later. You probably only need to burn CD's or transfer the
    image to an external HD every month or so, the frequency is personal. In the
    meantime just keep adding incremental images to your main image. It's quick
    and as you have a large HD, space isn't a problem. Say every day or two. The
    C: drive is far more likely to get corrupted than for the HD to fail
    completely. And if the C: drive is corrupted, just restore an image from the
    Data partition. CD's aren't needed. In fact if you need to restore an image
    that is on CD's, copy it to the Data partition before you start Acronis and
    restore the image from the HD. Much easier than using CD's for the restore.

    For Second Copy you have to decide which files need to be backed up (daily,
    weekly) and which don't. Have these copied to another folder on your Data
    partition (by Second Copy) and burn this whole folder when needed. Many
    files never change and don't need to be part of the Second Copy backup.
    These can be burnt separately if required.

    Do all burning with RecordNow. For CD-R, you can substitute DVD +/- R discs.
    Then you don't have to split the image as it will fit on one disc. Also DVD
    discs are cheaper on a MB by MB basis.

    Let me know if I've been too brief.

    Brian

    Brian K, Feb 16, 2005
  11. david

    david Guest

    Hi Brian. I tried using second copy but never could get it to work. I tried
    transferring the files to the CD burning file and then using Second Copy but
    it keep telling me I didn't have a CD in the drive. I even tried
    transferring the files to My Document again didn't work.I never could get
    Second Copy to recognize my CD drive. I even emailed Centered Systems
    Support..They gave me a work around to not having a packet writing software,
    but it didn't work either. I will download a trial vision of Acronis and
    see if I can get it to work. It sounds like by your reply I need to install
    a Data Partition to get the two programs to work? I haven't as yet set up a
    new partition, I guess I have been sort of hesitant to do so, thinking I
    will make a mistake. Maybe that is why I wasn't able to get Second Copy to
    work? If I transfer the files to the new partition I can then copy them to
    Second Copy or Acronis, or like your reply just copy them to the partition
    drive then back to the "C" drive? When I do install the new partition do I
    make the size bigger that what I have now?
    Thanks again Brian for you help.
    david

    david, Feb 17, 2005
  12. david

    Brian K Guest

    David, I'm confused. I thought you had already made a 120 MB Data partition,
    probably D: drive, or E: depending on the drive letter of your CD drive? You
    can't write an Acronis image to the HD unless you have another partition. In
    general you only need to use Acronis TI for imaging the C: drive.

    I was envisaging moving My Documents to the Data partition and putting all
    your images, music, movies etc on the Data partition. Only use the C: drive
    for installing programs. Keep the C: drive lean. This makes for easier
    backups.

    It's best to forget about writing Second Copy backups and Acronis images to
    CD's or DVD's direct from the app. It's just too error prone and also too
    slow. Backup to the HD first and burn later.

    Brian

    Brian K, Feb 17, 2005
  13. david

    david Guest

    Hi Brian,
    Your right I should of made the new partition "D" a while back. I just
    wasn't sure what I should move into the new partition and what I should
    leave in my "C" drive. In your reply you mentioned images. Should I move
    the program I have the photos in to the new D drive? Is 120MB about right
    for the partition? I guess I can increase it later on if I have to. I will
    download Acronis and soon as I make the new partition which will be
    tomorrow.
    Also being a senior citizen it takes a while for the information to sunk in.
    Like when you say "forget about writing images to CD"s of DVD's direct form
    the app. Backup to the Hard Drive. Came you elaborate on this a little?
    Thanks for the great help I really need it.
    david

    david, Feb 18, 2005
  14. david

    Brian K Guest

    Keep up the courage. Partitioning is easy if done properly.

    Leave all your programs on the C: drive. Only shift data from the C: drive,
    ie thing you have created like photos, music, video, downloads, Word
    documents etc. Put all future data on the D: drive. (the future Data drive
    might well be labelled E: drive by Windows. Accept that.) You have a 250 GB
    hard drive so instead of 120 GB for the new partition I'd make it 180 GB.
    That's 180,000 MB to enter in Partition Magic. This will make your C: drive
    around 50 GB which is plenty.

    Forget about writing images to CD's or DVD's direct from Second Copy or
    Acronis, it's unreliable, as you have found. Image (Acronis) the C: drive to
    the Data partition. Second Copy selected data on your Data partition and
    send it to a Folder on the same Data partition. The image and Folder can be
    burnt to CD/DVD at your leisure.

    The following is from dg1261's former post. It's an excellent overview. Read
    it several times.

    "Okay, that's helpful to know--it doesn't affect the question at hand
    (creating a new partition), but helps people understand what your goal is.

    Partitioning a HD creates segments which you can treat as separate "drives"
    in which to load/store different things. This can be confusing for newbies
    because you have to be careful to distinguish drives in the logical sense
    (e.g., "drive C:" or "drive E:") from drives in the physical sense (e.g.,
    "Seagate drive" or "slave drive"). There's a backgrounder on partitions on
    my website at www.goodells.net/multiboot that may be helpful. The site is
    really about multibooting, so the info may be a bit overwhelming, but maybe
    you can glean something from the backgrounder on partitions that will help
    you put the PM guide and Brian K's instructions into context.

    As shipped, most computers come with a giant "C: drive" that contains both
    the OS and the user's data--so if you have to reformat and reinstall the OS,
    you lose everything in the partition, which includes user data. But if
    partitioned into more than one logical drive, you can shift user data to the
    non-OS partition--then when you have to reformat/reinstall the OS, you're
    only touching the OS partition and not losing your data, which is tucked
    away on the other partition. However, both partitions are on the same
    physical device--so if the motor or something else on that device conks out,
    you lose all logical drives on that device, not just the OS partition.

    IMHO, Record Now is an adequate CD-burning program, and is perhaps a bit
    easier for the new user than the more fully-featured programs like Roxio or
    Nero. The problem is you're trying to turn it into a backup program, which
    is a separate function from CD-burning. Like Brian K, I backup onto the
    hard drive and then burn the backup file to CD, as two separate steps.

    You should give some deliberate thought to your backup strategy rather than
    just hoping some backup program is going to tell you what to do. First,
    there are two different things to backup: the operating system and your
    data. Then there are varying tiers of backup based on risk factors (which
    are principally user error, OS error, hardware malfunction, and theft/fire).

    Partitioning is a first step because it allows you to start separating your
    data from the OS. Then you can use different approaches for backing up
    each. Your OS is gigabytes huge but doesn't change much daily, so
    time-consuming backups can be done less frequently, using an imaging program
    (Brian K's Acronis recommendation is a good one). Your data is (typically)
    not as large and should be backed up more frequently. When separated from
    the OS, backing up data can be relatively quick and you can use a different
    approach--backing up the files rather than the whole partition as a unit.
    Brian K gave you one recommendation, while I use my own homegrown scripts
    that backup my data automatically once a day without any intervention.

    Where you put the backups depends on the degree of protection you're after,
    and can range from separate partition (on same hard drive), to second hard
    drive, removeable media (hard drive/CD/DVD/zipdisk), or even offsite
    storage. A comprehensive strategy would cover multiple tiers--backup CDs
    stored offsite are great protection against fire and theft, but not very
    convenient when you just need to restore an Excel file you accidentally
    overwrote. As an example, at home my strategy for data includes automatic
    daily incremental backups (only files that have changed) on separate
    partition, automatic full backups (all data files, changed or not) every 10
    days, all backups (I don't overwrite--each daily backup is separate from
    other days) manually copied to network share on home LAN once or twice a
    month, and network share manually copied to CD every 3 months. These
    timeframes reflect my perceived vulnerability to the various risk factors
    mentioned above."

    Let's know how you are progressing.

    Brian

    Brian K, Feb 18, 2005
  15. david

    Brian K Guest

    David, just to confirm 180,000 MB, not 180 MB. ( I put 120 MB in my previous
    post when I meant 120 GB)

    Brian K, Feb 18, 2005
  16. david

    david Guest

    Hi Brian,
    I finally placed the new partition "D drive" on my computer. PM shows two
    new partitions, One Extended with a * in front of it and the other Data [D]
    NTFS is this right? Now can you give me some advice on moving the files
    from C to D drives? Also I use Quicken for my financial program should I
    move it to D also?
    Thanks again for the excellent advice. I wouldn't be this far with out you
    help.
    david

    david, Feb 20, 2005
  17. david

    Brian K Guest

    Good work. How long did the partitioning take out of interest? What is the
    drive letter of your CD drive?

    Yes, the Extended partition contains the logical drive. There is no need at
    present, but in the future you may want to split the current logical drive
    into two or more. Maybe in a few years.

    Firstly, create a folder in your D: drive and call it My Documents. Then
    right click on the old My Documents icon on the desktop, click Properties,
    click Move and in Select A Destination navigate to D:\My Documents, OK, OK.
    Accept any choices to move your data. You will see the data being moved. Now
    the desktop My Documents icon will take you to D:\My Documents.

    I'm unfamiliar with Quicken but I'd be inclined to leave it on the C: drive
    as it's a program. Don't move any programs or data associated with programs.
    Your own Music, Photos etc will probably have been shifted over in My
    Documents.

    Let me know the sizes of your partitions and their Used Space in GB and
    we'll do an image.

    Brian

    Brian K, Feb 20, 2005
  18. david

    Brian K Guest

    Brian K, Feb 20, 2005
  19. david

    david Guest

    Hi Brian,
    I am having a problem moving My Documents folder. I have a folder in there
    that I used to download spyware programs and one called total uninstall that
    I used to install the other programs. I'm afraid if I move the folder to
    the D drive I will not be able to use them. Any subjections? I could
    uninstall them and then reinstall after I move the folder. Also I should
    mention I didn't have a My Documents folder on my desktop and I am sure I
    didn't delete it. I put a short cut on it.
    It only took about 5min. for PM to make the new D partition. I was surprised
    how fast it went after all the time it took me to do it. The "C" drive has
    53,4GB and the "D" drive has 175GB..
    Haven't had a chance to look at the web sight as yet.
    Thanks,
    david

    david, Feb 20, 2005
  20. david

    Brian K Guest

    I don't understand the situation with your spyware programs so the safest
    thing would be to uninstall and reinstall after you have shifted My
    Documents.

    To get My Documents back onto the Desktop, right click on the desktop,
    Properties, Desktop tab, Customize Desktop, tick My Documents, OK.

    We're getting there.

    Brian

    Brian K, Feb 20, 2005