CD-RW drive - lots of failed burns

Discussion in 'HP' started by Ray, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Dell just replaced mine DVD/CDRW in my Inspiron 8000....I think ME has a lot
    to do with failed burns:-

    Dell just replaced my CD Burner..........Inspiron 8000:-
    When burning:-( ....TIPS FROM INTERNET SITES ON BURNING PROBLEMS.....:-(
    1.Turn Power management off(as sometimes after a while, if the computer is
    left
    on, some things automatically "shut down" for a while.)You don't want this
    happen when you are BURNING Bald!!
    2. Always shut down your computer for a new burn.Gives everything a new
    start.
    3. Always DEFRAG before a big burn session!
    4. Go to Control/Alt/Delete and CLOSE DOWN ALL programs except the CD
    burning programme!!
    5.Burn at slower speeds....e.g. if x8 burn at x4(about half) x1 might be too
    slow?
    6.Converting to WAVE file first from .mp3(use Cool Edit or something) means
    the
    burning program has one task already done for it?Less work for it to do?
    7.Antivirus programs that are switched on use up many system resources and
    are
    one of the main causes of burn failures.
    8.Go to: Start/Run/type in msconfig/Click the startup Tab and delete all
    ticks
    except systray(your volume control on far right hand of taskbar).
    This will stop programs starting up AUTOMATICALLY when you switch
    on your computer.All this means is that you switch your programs on
    MANUALLY as you want to use them(from start/programs).By having all
    the ticks included your processor is being chewed up and system resources
    are being used by programs you are not necessarily using.Only have the
    programs running THAT YOU WANT TO USE AT ANY PARTICULAR
    TIME.This means your processor is not doing unnecessary work.
    9.Don't OVERBURN:burn a little under the time limit.
    10.This is my body.This is my blood.Do this in commemoration of
    me.......................
    11.Don't use CHEAP disks!!

    Kindest personal regards:-
    RAY THE TRAVELLIN' MAN
    Let's Keep Music Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!!

    Ray, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Ray

    Chu-Chu Guest

    HP Pavillion ZT1000 Series Laptop
    Internal Sony CD-RW CRX800E - Driver version 5.1.2535.0
    WinXP
    512 MB RAM

    I am getting a "power calibration error" almost everytime I try to burn
    with Nero Ultra Edition 6.0. I tried cleaning the lens with the Maxell
    DVD laser cleaning disc. It can read discs (not quite well sometimes),
    but it won't burn much. The most recent thing I burned successfully was
    a SVCD music video (64 MB). I unchecked Power Burn and it worked, so I
    tried a bigger image without Power Burn; no dice.

    I saw a similar problem on another forum where someone suggested
    uninstalling every CD/DVD burning program and uninstalling the CD-RW
    driver, then re-installing Nero. That didn't seem to work. I also
    tried burning a VCD with RecordNow Max 4.5 and got this error: "Error -
    10 at Sector 16 - Command:E1 Sense:05 ASC:24 ASCQ:00."

    Thanks for any suggestions. I'd rather not replace the laptop's burner,
    but I guess I might have to. I'm using the HP DVD200E (excellent DVD
    burner), so it's not a pressing thing.

    Chu-Chu, Sep 17, 2003

  3. I believe that it's most likely a bad burner, not a software issue.
    Especially with a "power calibration error".

    Barry Watzman, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Ray

    Bogey Guest

    What a load of crap!
    guess that's why you have a Dell.......

    Bogey, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Ray

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not necessarily a load of crap. I think that the DFRAG is overkill, and whether
    or not to burn MP3s instead of the original audio depends on where the resulting
    CDs will be played. Computers can play MP3s, and some of the other audio
    players can, but some cannot.

    But a lot of the rest has to do with using an inherently unrelaible operating
    system with no provision to allow a program like a CD burner to pre-empt
    whatever else is going on. So other programs like screen savers steal processor
    cycles, sometimes for long intervals, and you end up with a coaster. Of course,
    maybe a 3GHz Pentium 4 has enough speed to allow CD burning to go on at the same
    time as a lot of other activities. But CD burning has always been an activity
    that demands nearly complete dedication of the processor, because the burn rate
    must be constant... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Ray

    ~misfit~ Guest

    According to MBM5 burning a CDR (IDE drive) at 16X uses around 5% of my CPU.

    (Athlon XP2200+ and XP Pro)

    I can burn faster (52X) but get less reliable results so I stick to 16X.
    What's a couple extra minutes?

    ~misfit~, Sep 18, 2003
  7. Ray

    Ted Guest

    I would recommend using a better brand of blank CDR media. My burner used to
    do the same thing and then I started using a higher quality media and these
    Power calibration errors just disappeared.
    My next door neighbour had the same errors and he changed the media he was
    using and his errors disappeared also.
    Give a few different brands a try before replacing your burner.

    Ted, Oct 20, 2003