CDRom Drive no longer recognising CDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paul, May 11, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi,
    I have a CD drive that up until the other day was working fine but now
    it has stopped being able to recognise the fact there is a CD in the
    drive - Audio or Data.
    I have checked the drivers and devices and all is as it was when it
    was working.
    It is being recognised in the BIOS as well.
    I have checked all the cables and jumpers and all is ok there. Also
    there is power to the drive.
    When you insert a CD in windows (XP Home edition with all updates up
    to date), the CD icon flashes up on the mouse pointer so it seems to
    be recognising that something was put in the drive, it just cant tell
    what.
    I have even tried going in via safe mode and attempting the same
    thing, to no avail.
    Installation wise, its hard to pinpoint anything in particular that
    wouldve been installed to cause it, as I have only just noticed it
    isnt working so I'm not sure exactly when the problem started, but
    really its only been windows updates.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    Paul

    Paul, May 11, 2004

  2. Paul

    TechnoPaul Guest

    Guess #1: Drive laser lens is dirty or most likely the drive is dying
    Guess #2: CD copy/writing software interfering with each other ( doubt
    it though.)

    I'd go with #1. If you go to Control Panel, then Administrative Tools,
    then Event Viewer, then System, it will most likely have many errors
    and warnings about your drive.

    that's my guess(es)
    ( or there's the off chance the power supply is bad or not getting to
    the drive but from what you descibe, I'd say check the Event log--if
    it's full of errors, new drive time..)

    HTH

    TechnoPaul, May 11, 2004

  3. Paul

    DaveW Guest

    The symptoms you describe are typical of what occurs when a CD-ROM fails.
    May be time for a new one.

    DaveW, May 12, 2004
  4. Paul

    wburt59 Guest

    Try buying a cd lens cleaner at your local walmart and clean your cd lens

    wburt59, May 12, 2004
  5. Paul

    Adimurugan.V Guest

    Most of the CD-ROM Drives are having these probs. The main cause of
    this prob is dust in lens. You can clean the lens by using a lens
    cleaner available in the CD shops.
    The other cause may be the Disk sitting alignment. Due to the tray
    weight, most of the trays are bend toward down. While the tray in
    going inside Push the tray in as well as upwards smoothly, then your
    drive will recognise it. This due to the tray mechanism prob. This
    prob usually we see in Sony, Samsung drives.

    Adimurugan.V, May 12, 2004
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Appreciate the help both, I think its time for the new drive - I was
    reluctant at first as it was less than a year old, but last night I
    managed to get the CD to boot by putting pressure on the CD draw for
    the duration of reading it, so something has definitely knackered
    itself.
    Once again thanks for your time in replying.

    Paul, May 12, 2004