cdrom seen by BIOS but not in WinXP (7N400 Pro2)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Steve Maring, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Steve Maring

    Steve Maring Guest

    I recently upgraded the OS on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 Mobo from Win2K
    to WinXP. When it ran Win2K, it did not have a problem recognizing
    both my Creative 48X CD-ROM and my Memorex DVD+RW/+R. However, with
    WinXP, my Creative 48X CD-ROM is not seen by the device manager. The
    BIOS, version F11, properly recognizes the device as secondary master,
    and even spins up the drive if a CD is in it, but that knowledge does
    not seem to get past into the OS. The GigaRaid BIOS is configured as
    "ATA" mode since I don't have a RAID array.

    The Memorex DVD+RW/+R is recognized on secondary slave properly.

    XP is fully updated as far as M$ is concerned. I also have all the
    latest drivers from GigaByte installed.

    Cheers,
    Steve Maring
    Tarpon Springs, FL

    Steve Maring, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Steve Maring

    Jim Smith Guest

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer
    Management | Disk Management

    Put a disk in the drive. Check to see if you have a drive letter alllocated.

    Jim Smith, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Steve Maring

    Ken Oaf Guest

    That is the long way to do it.

    Right click on My Computer, select Manage then Disk Management.

    Ken Oaf, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Steve Maring

    Jim Smith Guest

    Yes but it does show him the full path of options just in case there is
    something else that could help.

    Jim Smith, Oct 12, 2004
  5. Steve Maring

    Sue McCartin Guest

    You may need to get them off the same cable. I've had problems in the
    past where two IDE cdrom devices just didn't like coexisting. You'll
    also find that the slower device will slow down the faster device (yeah
    that still happens with these).

    If all else fails get a USB2.0 cabinet for one of your cd devices (the
    one you don't use all the time). It's strange that it worked under 2000
    but doesn't under xp because generally if they don't like each other
    it's controller related and not os related. You might also look for a
    firmware update for one or both drives. Good luck.

    Sue McCartin, Oct 12, 2004