    What would be the best thing for me to look at?

    Thanks

    Peter Mount

    Peter Mount, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Peter> Hello I'm currently using a Pentium 2-350. I'm on a budget so
    Peter> even though I'd really like a Pentium 4 I may have to look at
    Peter> Celerons or AMD's. I was thinking of maybe getting a Celeron
    Peter> and updating it to a Pentium 4 later on. I found a local
    Peter> computer shop has something called "Transmeta" though I have
    Peter> no idea what they are like.

    Transmeta is completely different animal. Great for low power devices.
    AMD is the clear winner in the value area. However, brought up a very
    good point the current upgrade path for 32bit AMD is completely dead.
    Well not completely dead if you purchase a low end 32bit AMD and then
    upgrade to a faster processor. With a celeron you could upgrade later
    to a P4 depending on the motherboard.

    Cheapest is probably AMD at the current time.

    Good luck

    Alan

    Post Replies Here Please, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Peter Mount

    Buck Rogers Guest

    AMD Athlon XP have 384KB Level 2 cache, compared to Celeron's 128KB level
    2 cache.
    Hence AMD Athlon XP beats Celeron in terms of performance. However, Intel
    has
    very recently released Celeron D processors with 256KB level 2 cache,
    which now
    makes the Celeron more competitive in terms of price & performance.

    If it was up to me, I'd go for the AMD system, but that is because I've had
    Intel all my life, and want to try something different.

    Good luck!

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Jul 6, 2004