    I have a quick question. Are the Pentium M and the Celeron M and
    centrino the same thing?

    Paul

    paulrosenthal, Jun 8, 2005

  2. paulrosenthal

    DaveW Guest

    No.

    DaveW, Jun 9, 2005

  3. paulrosenthal

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Centrino is not a processor, it is a packaging of various chips,
    including the Pentium M processor. The other chips in the package are a
    North and Southbridge chipset, and a WiFi radio transmitter chip. You
    can conceivably buy just a Pentium M with the Centrino packaging, but
    most manufacturers don't; so Centrino and Pentium M have almost become
    synonymous.

    The Celeron M is based off of the Pentium M, except it's got a smaller
    cache, slower Mhz, and all of its advanced power-management features are
    disabled.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Now I have to go look at spec sheets. Thought Celeron-M was a cut down
    P4. Celeron-M seems to lack performance/GHz as well, from what few
    benchmarks I could see. I thought the were diferent sockets, even.

    I'm not sure that you can get the full power saving features without the
    help of the Centrino chipset. That may contribute to the inability of
    the Celeron-M to save power.

    Related topic: any reason why a P-M 1.5GHz can't be replaced with a 1.9
    or 2.1 or whatever? Has anyone done it?

    Bill Davidsen, Jun 9, 2005
  5. paulrosenthal

    Nate Edel Guest

    Is there any other chipset which works with the P-M/C-M besides the couple
    of Intel ones which qualify for Centrino marketting?

    I realize you also have to use their WiFi - I was under the impression that
    it was less a matter of the transmitter chip than buying entire miniPCI
    cards - but in practice that's the differentiator since I've never seen
    another chipset that works with the P-Ms.

    Nate Edel, Jun 9, 2005
  6. paulrosenthal

    Mike Smith Guest

    Asus makes an adapter that lets you plug a P-M into some of their Socket
    478 P4 boards, with 865 and 875 chipsets.

    Mike Smith, Jun 9, 2005
  7. paulrosenthal

    Nate Edel Guest

    Interesting, I'd never heard of it... if they're stable, I'd imagine this
    would potentially be very popular for 1P servers.

    Nate Edel, Jun 10, 2005
  8. paulrosenthal

    Nate Edel Guest

    Well, there are generational differences - and on current ones, 400 and 533
    FSB chips may not be interchangeable, but I thought that you could pretty
    much interchange any P-M chips of the same generation. Some of the oldest
    boards may only support the 1MB cache Banias processors not the 2MB
    Dothans... but I know that around when the Dothans came out that I saw
    several manufacturers offering BTO machines where both Dothan and Banias
    were options on the same chassis, and I'm fairly sure that didn't mean
    alternate motherboards.

    Nate Edel, Jun 10, 2005
  9. paulrosenthal

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Oh sorry, I just noticed a typo in there. I meant to say, "you can
    conceivably buy just a Pentium M *without* the Centrino packaging".
    No, you gotta include the whole Intel packaging at the very least for
    Centrino. However you can add other chips, such as an ATI or Nvidia
    laptop integrated graphics processor video chipset.
    Yeah very few people stray outside the Centrino packaging. I think ATI
    was trying to make some money on an Pentium-M chipset that included the
    north/southbridges and IGP. But it looks like it's only had any success
    in selling the IGP graphics by itself. That's why it came to AMD
    chipsets in the end -- there's an actual place for it within the AMD
    lineup, unlike in the Intel lineup.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 10, 2005
  10. paulrosenthal

    Mike Smith Guest

    Google "Asus CT-479".

    Mike Smith, Jun 10, 2005
  11. It's a win on power, if you think you get a significant benefit from HT
    then you lose that. I have two of the qualifying boards, so I might try
    the P-M on the system which is lightly loaded and on 7x24. Haven't decided.

    Bill Davidsen, Jun 10, 2005
  12. paulrosenthal

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Celeron-D is a cutdown P4.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 10, 2005
  13. paulrosenthal

    Nate Edel Guest

    Cool, thanks. Looks like retail-box P-Ms are relatively pricey, or this
    might be worth playing with.

    Nate Edel, Jun 11, 2005
  14. paulrosenthal

    Nate Edel Guest

    Didn't even notice, read right past it.
    Which AFAICT, don't break Centrino marketting.

    But that doesn't answer the question: other than the ASUS adapter, is there
    anyone actually using P-M/C-M chips with a chipset other than the Intel 855
    or Intel 915?
    Dell, for one; I'm not sure if they're still doing it by default, but for
    their 1st-gen Pentium M systems the defauly option for the miniPCI wireless
    was their own branded wireless rather than the Intel one that would qualify
    for Centrino.
    I've never seen an ATI P-M compatible chipset, I'll have to look for it.

    Their integrated chipsets for P4 - both mobile and desktop - seems to have
    sold pretty well from what I can see. I don't know if it's been updated for
    775, though.

    Nate Edel, Jun 11, 2005
  15. paulrosenthal

    Nate Edel Guest

    It's clearly dependent on workload, but I've been unimpressed with HT for on
    the Nocona the servers I've been responsible for... they almost always
    perform better with it (and the HT scheduling tweaks in Linux) disabled.

    I'd be curious how your stability results are if you decide to try it.

    Nate Edel, Jun 11, 2005
  16. The adaptor only works with certain motherboards (I have several), but
    it's not clear if the cost of the adaptor is lower than just buying one
    of their new Pentium-M boards outright. I haven't gotten all the pricing
    stuff yet. They also make a mini-ATX board, with a boatload of media
    interfaces, I have some of their very small cases, and wouldn't be
    surprised to see a P-M version out. Or maybe Shuttle will release a
    model, I really like their stuff.

    Bill Davidsen, Jun 16, 2005
  17. paulrosenthal

    Mike Smith Guest

    One of the advantages of the adapter is that it lets you use P-M CPUs
    with chipsets that provide better memory bandwidth (e.g. 865, 875) than
    the chipsets that are designed for P-M (e.g. 855). Tests of the CT-479
    show that the P-M can benefit from this increased bandwidth, making the
    P-M even more performance-competitive with the P4 while retaining the
    benefits of reduced heat and power consumption (while also retaining the
    higher price, unfortunately).

    Mike Smith, Jun 20, 2005